City Of Chula Vista
Like Us on Facebok   Follow us on Twitter - ThinkChulaVista!   

City of Chula Vista Site Map Contact Us City Calendar of Events Frequently Asked Questions City Services What's New In Chula Vista Chula Vista Attractions About Chula Vista Chula Vista Home
City Attorney Down Arrow

Practice Area   
Attorney Profiles   
Legal Resources  
Opinions & Reports   
Special Projects   
City Charter   
Municipal Code   

  Office of the City Attorney

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to be on a City board or commission?    
See the City Clerk's web page    

Can the City Attorney’s Office provide legal advice to private citizens?    
The City Attorney’s Office cannot provide legal advice to private citizens. However, the San Diego County Bar offers a free referral service and can be contacted at 1-800-464-1529 or    

How do I get a copy of the Chula Vista Municipal Code?    
The Chula Vista Municipal Code is available on line at   You may also contact the City Clerk’s Office.    

What does it mean that the City of Chula Vista is a charter city?    
There are two legal types of cities in California—a general law city and a charter city.   For a general law city, it must follow specified laws set forth in the California Government Code for its conduct.  The State establishes those specified rules found in the Government Code.   A charter city, on the other hand, is authorized, under the California Constitution, to create its own specified laws that govern its conduct in certain areas of law considered to be “municipal affairs”.  Those rules are set forth in the city’s charter.  Municipal affairs include local government, structure, elections, rules for public land use, and contracting. The charter is established by a vote of the city’s residents.  
A copy of Chula Vista’s Charter is available here.

What is the difference between the City Attorney’s Office and the District Attorney’s Office?    
The District Attorney’s Office handles criminal matters (misdemeanors and felonies) under the state Penal Code. The City Attorney’s Office, while it may prosecute specified misdemeanors, generally handles civil matters involving the City of Chula Vista Municipal Code.    

Who do I call to report a crime?    
For emergencies, call 911. Non-emergency crimes/incidents should be reported to the Chula Vista Police Department at (619) 691-5151. For general police inquiries, call (619) 691-5137.    

How do I report elder abuse? How do I report Child Abuse?    
If the situation, in either elder abuse or child abuse, is life threatening or in progress, you should call 911. You may also report elder abuse to Adult Protective Services at 1-800-510-2012. You may also report child abuse to Child Welfare Services at 1-800-344-6000.    

Does the City have an Ethics Code? How do I report an ethics violation?    
The City's ethic's code is found in Chapter 2.28 of the Chula Vista Municipal Code.  An ethics complaint may be filed by completing a complaint form found

Does the City have rent control for mobilehomes?    
Yes, the City does have rent control for mobilehome space rent pursuant to CVMC Chapter 9.50.   Learn More    

I have heard about a mobilehome ombudsman, what is that?    
The State of California has the Office of Mobilehome Ombudsman.  The handle matters involving living in a mobile ranging from registration to health and safety.   There website is as follows:

How do I make a public records act request?    
You may contact the City Clerk’s Office to obtain public records.     


City Of Chula Vista


City Attorney's Office
276 Fourth Avenue | Map It!
Chula Vista, CA 91910
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Telephone and Email
Business: (619) 691-5037
Fax: (619) 409-5823

Arrrow Back To Top  



©2013 City of Chula Vista. All Rights Reserved.

Employees Only