City Of Chula Vista
Like Us on Facebok   Follow us on Twitter - ThinkChulaVista!   

City of Chula Vista Site Map Contact Us City Calendar of Events Frequently Asked Questions City Services What's New In Chula Vista Chula Vista Attractions About Chula Vista Chula Vista Home
Finance Down Arrow
Business Licenses Down Arrow

Business License App
Business License Rates
Resources & Links
Home Occupation Permit
Contact Us

  Finance Department

FREBE Program LogoBusiness Licenses

The City of Chula Vista welcomes your business to our City. 

A business license is required in the City of Chula Vista for any person who transacts, engages in or carries on any business within the corporate limits of the city (CVMC 5.02.020).

To obtain a business license for a new business, submit a completed Business License Application at the Business License counter.  The more complete and accurate your business license application is, the easier it will be for your potential customers to find you through the online 'Business Finder,' promoted by the City.

For home-based businesses, a Home Occupation Permit must also be submitted with the Business License Application.

Changes in ownership, address or use require completion of a new application.

Quick Links:

arrow Business License Taxes and Fees

arrow Business License Application

arrow Business License Renewal

arrow New Business Resources & Links

arrow Business Finder

arrow Contact Us

Business License RatesBusiness License Taxes and Fees

Business license taxes vary by type, location and size of business.  Tax rates are established in the Master Tax Schedule (CVMC 5.07).  A summary of Business License Taxes and fees is available here.

For assistance in determining the taxes and fees due for your business, please contact a Business License Representative at (619) 585-5624 or


arrow Back to Top of Page

Business License Application

Business License Application

The following information is needed to complete an application:

arrow Business Location

arrow Type of Business

arrow Number of Employees

arrow Home Address of Business Owner

arrow Phone Number of Business Owner

arrow Taxpayer ID Number OR Owner's Social Security Number

arrow Seller's Permit from State Board of Equalization

arrow State License Number (contractor, physician, etc)

Note: Vending and amusement machines require a separate permit for each machine in addition to the primary business license. 

All business license taxes must be paid at the time the application is submitted.

Additional Departmental Reviews and Approvals

Your business may also be subject to a Police Controlled License.  Additional information can be accessed here.

The City requires that the following mobile businesses complete a Storm Water Questionnaire and Certification Statement:

  • Auto Repair, Detailing and Washing
  • Carpet, Drape, or Furniture Cleaning
  • Fire Equipment and Sprinkler Maintenance
  • Landscaping
  • Pest Control Services
  • Pet Grooming
  • Portable Grooming
  • Portable Sanitary Services, including Plumbing
  • Power Washing Services
  • Pool, Spa, and Fountain Maintenance
  • Any mobile construction business (e.g. cement work, masonry, painting and coating)
  • Any mobile business that utilizes water

If you would like to license one of the above business types, please visit our Stormwater webpage or contact our Public Works Department at (619) 397-6000.

Disability Access (SB1186) Notice

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

arrow Back to Top of Page

Business License Renewal

Renew Your Business License OnlineAll existing businesses are mailed renewal notices each December.  To avoid penalties, complete the renewal notice and return it with the amount due by January 31st.

For each month beginning February 1st that business license taxes are not paid, a 10% penalty will be assessed (March 1st - 20%, April 1st - 30%, May 1st - 40%, June 1st - 50%). All business licenses taxes not paid by July 1st will be assessed a 60% penalty and could be referred to Code Enforcement.

Once all required business license taxes have been paid a location can begin conducting business. However, a business license is not legal until all applicable city departments have approved the application and the business license is posted at the business location.

arrow Back to Top of Page

New Business Resources & Links

Depending on the nature of your business, you may need other permits or licenses from other government agencies.  Links to other agencies and new business resources can be accessed here.

arrowOther Agencies - General

arrowOther Agencies - Business Specific Licenses and Permits

arrowOther Cities - Business Licenses

arrowOther Business Resources

Or View the ABCs of Starting a New Business in Chula Vista

arrow Back to Top of Page

Business FinderChula Vista Business Finder

Looking for a specific business or business type in Chula Vista? 

Try the CV Business Finder.  Here you can find a business by name, address or type.

CV Business Finder lists most businesses that hold an active Business License.

If you are unable to locate a business through this look-up service, please contact us, as directed below.


arrow Back to Top of Page

Contact Us

If you have any Business License related questions please contact:

City of Chula Vista | Finance Department

(619) 585-5624

FREE Business Energy Evaluations

As part of Chula Vista’s environmental leadership, the City will be requiring new businesses and existing businesses (every 4 years) with storefronts or offices to participate in the Free Resource & Energy Business Evaluation (FREBE) program beginning in the 2010 calendar year.  Click here to learn more about the program and about scheduling an appointment.

City Of Chula Vista



Arrrow Back To Top  


©2013 City of Chula Vista. All Rights Reserved.

Employees Only