Memorial Bench Program | Download Application
This is a "pilot program" that is subject to the number of requests from the public, the added value or benefit to the enhancement of the existing park system and the approval of the Public Works Department.
Memorial benches have become an increasingly popular way to remember and pay tribute to loved ones. The Parks Division has a number of parks and sites with a variety of benches and picnic table styles in our system. Creating this opportunity also helps to replace existing park amenities that are in need of repair or replacement due to age. The criteria for bench styles were based on park design, function, aesthetics, and maintenance. The criteria for the site and style will be based on the needs in each park. The current bench style, location and benefit to that particular park. All parks requested are subject to prior approval from the Director of Public Works.
While it's not our intention to turn Public Parks into Memorial parks, we do recognize and sympathize with honoring our loved ones in places of significant meaning to our citizens. By using these tools and evaluating each application on a “case-by-case” basis, we hope to keep the City of Chula Vista’s Park system beautiful and flourishing for all to enjoy!
With the exception of some of our newer parks, most of our City parks have space for additional benches. Those parks with the most spaces are in Rohr Park, Eucalyptus Park and some of the older community parks. If you have a location in mind, a representative from the Parks Division will meet with you on site to discuss location and alternatives. A City representative will assist you in choosing a bench that is compatible with your site selection. The city may recommend a vendor and will require the selected vendor to send a picture of the bench and plague prior to placing the order for approval. The selected bench must be compatible with other elements within the park.
The price range for park benches is $1,000 to $3,000 depending on the bench style. Order time for benches is approximately six weeks, depending on the vendor. Upon receipt of the bench the Parks Division may require a minimum of two weeks to arrange installation.
All plaques must be located on the bench and not on the bench base. Concrete benches are preferred and the plaque can be recessed into the concrete making it more vandal proof. The maximum allowable size for a plaque is 5” x 11”, limiting the number of characters, subject to review before approval. The requestor is responsible for replacing the plaque if it is damaged or vandalized.
- Contact the Parks Operations Manager at the City of Chula Vista Public Works Center at (619) 397-6080 to discuss bench style options, approved vendors and park options, and review the application.
- You can fax the completed application to (619) 397-6259, Attention: Parks.
- Once bench style and park location is determined, applicant will contact the vendor, refer the vendor to the City, send in the proposed bench and place the order. Delivery address will be:
Public Works Corpyard
Attention: Parks Division
1800 Maxwell Road
Chula Vista, CA 91911
- Applicant will be responsible for all information and payment to the vendor directly.
- Parks staff will contact donor when bench is received to discuss installation timeline.
- Upon receipt of the Materials, Staff will notify the Applicant and arrange installation date, costs and method of payment. The City of Chula Vista charges a minimum staff time of 2 hours. This includes all labor, materials and equipment. The current FBHR is approximately $179.32 (subject to change).
You may also email the Parks Operations Manager, Agnes Bernardo at firstname.lastname@example.org with any other questions or to request an application.