Visting a Prisoner
- Visits take place at the Chula Vista Police Department located at 315 4th Avenue (corner of F Street & 4th Avenue, across from the public library). DO NOT GO TO THE SOUTH BAY COURTHOUSE.
Visiting hours for Local and Federal Inmates:
- Monday- Friday: 1:00 p.m.- 3:30 p.m. (last visit begins at 3:00 pm)
- A prisoner cannot be allowed visitation the day they go to court.
- Federal USM Inmates are allowed two 30-minute visits per week. Inmates may elect to have one 1-hour visit each week instead of two seperate visits.
Maximum visitation time:
- Visits last 30 minutes for local Inmates or up to one hour for USM Inmates (see above).
Maximum number of visitors:
- Up to two adults (ages 15 and older) or one adult and two children may visit at the same time.
The following visitor qualifications must be met without exception:
- Visitors must have a valid photo ID issued by a government, state, or US federal aency. Minors do not need to show ID. (Those with only foreign national identification will be considered on a case-by-case basis, depending on the ability to verify identification).
- Each adult visitor is subject to a criminal background check.
- Visitors including minors over the age of 14 may not be on parole, formal probation or have an active warrant or pending criminal court case.
- A visitor's past criminal history may be grounds for visitation refusal. Each request will be evaluated on case-by-case basis. The final decision rests with the jail staff on-duty at the time of the request.
- Visitors may not be a current "domestic violence" crime victim of the inmate.
- Visitors are not permitted to carry any purse, package, bag or clothing into the visitor’s holding area (this policy does not pertain to attorneys or other "professional" visitors). Cell phones are prohibited in the visiting area. Please leave these items locked in your vehicle or at home.
- Visitors may be subject to search using a metal detecting hand wand.
- Visitors must be appropriately dressed. Clothing associated with street gangs is prohibited (All NFL clothing, bandanas, skull caps etc.). Tattoos associated with street or prison gangs must be covered. Revealing clothing (tank tops without bras, extremely low cut blouses or dresses, extremely short dresses, etc.) is prohibited. The final decision on acceptable dress rests with the jail staff on-duty at the time.
- Physical contact between prisoners and visitors is strictly prohibited.
Each adult visitor (15 years of age and older) must complete and submit the Visitor Application (or download) prior to arriving for a visit.
Once an application has been completed, a visit can be scheduled. You will be contacted at the phone number listed on the application once it has been processed to arrange a date and time for your visit.
Walk-in visits or after hour visits, including "bail interview" visits are not available.
You are strongly encouraged to arrive at the front counter of the Police Department a minimum of 15 minutes prior to your visiting time.
Visits, including previously scheduled appointments, may be cancelled at any time due to operational necessity.