The CVPD offers the following holiday tips so you don't become a victim.
If you're traveling:
- Get an automatic timer for your lights.
- Ask neighbors to watch your home and park in your driveway from time to time.
- Don't forget to have mail and newspaper delivery stopped. If it piles up, it's a sure sign you're gone.
If you're out for the evening:
- Turn on lights and a radio or TV so it looks like someone's home.
- Be extra cautious about locking doors and windows when you leave, even if it's just for a few minutes.
- Don't display gifts where they can be seen from outside.
If you're shopping:
- Stay alert and be aware of what's going on around you.
- Park in a well-lighted space and be sure to lock the car, close the windows, and hide shopping bags and gifts in the trunk.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Deter pickpockets and purse-snatchers by not overburdening yourself with packages.
Happy holidays and think ahead to be safe!
- Shopping with kids? Teach them to stay put to be found and/or to approach a store clerk or security guard if you get separated.
Police Public Information Office