The Chula Vista Police Department has seen at least 7 cases in the past four months of a male suspect grabbing and sexually assaulting woman by groping them as they walked on city streets.
The two latest cases happened today, Friday, January 07, 2011. The first incident occurred at 10:15 a.m. in the 200 block of Quintard Street. A 24-year old woman stated that she was walking in a corridor between buildings when a male suspect quickly approached her on foot, held her around the waist, grabbed her crotch and bit her in the buttock before running away.
The second case happened approximately forty minutes later on Fifth Avenue near G Street. A 21-year old female was walking in the 200 block of Fifth when she heard footsteps behind her; she then felt hands grab between her legs. The victim was able to punch the suspect, before he ran off.
In all cases, the victim’s have been in a public area and were touched over their clothing, before the suspect fled on foot.
There are various suspect descriptions ranging from a Hispanic male to a light-skinned black male, between the ages of 18-35 years old. 5’5”- 6’ tall and thin to medium build. In most cases, the suspect wears a hooded sweatshirt.
The Police Department would like to remind all residents of the following precautions:
- Be aware of your surroundings and avoid distractions from cell phones, I-Pods, etc.
- Walk confidently and at a steady pace.
- If you think you are being followed, walk toward an area that is well lit and well populated.
- Be careful when people stop you for directions or money. Always reply from a distance.
- Never get too close to solicitors who are in cars.
- If you are in trouble or feel you are in danger, don’t be afraid to attract help any way you can; scream, yell, or run away to safety.
If you have been a victim or see suspicious activity, call the Chula Vista Police Department at (619) 691-5151. In an emergency call 911.
By taking a few minor precautions and being observant we can all help to increase safety in our community.
Police Public Information Office