Chula Vista, CA – Chula Vista Police Department Traffic Unit conducted a DUI/Drivers License checkpoint on 3/23/12, at 600 Palomar Street between the hours of 6:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. Checkpoints are placed in locations that have the greatest opportunity for achieving drunk and drugged driving deterrence and provide the greatest safety for officers and the public.
This DUI/Drivers License checkpoint lowers DUI deaths and injuries. A major component of these checkpoints is the deterrent effects it has on those who might drive drunk or drugged impaired bring about more awareness and encouraging everyone to use sober designated drivers.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), checkpoints have provided the most effective documented results of any of the DUI enforcement strategies, while also yielding considerable cost savings of $6 for every $1 spent.
- 1,600 vehicles through checkpoint
- 1 DUI-Alcohol suspect arrested
- 9 Drivers cited/arrested for operating a vehicle unlicensed or while suspended/revoked
- 1 Driver cited for driving with an open container
- 1 Driver cited for possession of Marijuana
- 2 Drivers cited for open containers
- 1 Passenger cited for open container
- 4 Drivers cited for other violations
Chula Vista PD will be conducting other DUI/Drivers License Checkpoint in our ongoing commitment to lowering deaths and injuries upon our streets and highways.
The checkpoint was funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
Report Drunk Drivers – Call 9-1-1!
Police Public Information Office