City Of Chula Vista
Like Us on Facebok   Follow us on Twitter - ThinkChulaVista!   

City of Chula Vista Site Map Contact Us City Calendar of Events Frequently Asked Questions City Services What's New In Chula Vista Chula Vista Attractions About Chula Vista Chula Vista Home

FAQs Down Arrow


Animal Care Facility
City Attorney
City Clerk
City Manager
Fire Department
Finance Department
Human Resources
Information Services

Planning & Building
Police Department
Public Works



Frequently Asked Questions

Question: Where can I register to vote?    
Answer: The City Clerk's office at 276 Fourth Avenue in Chula Vista, or the Registrar of Voters at 5201 Ruffin Road in San Diego, or on the Registrar of Voter's Website    

Question: How do I address the City Council at a meeting?    
Answer: If you wish to address the Council regarding an item appearing on the agenda, fill out a "Request to Speak" form, submit it to the City Clerk at any regular council meeting. the Mayor will call you to the podium at the appropriate time. For more information, click here.    

Question: Where and When are the City Council Meetings?    
Answer: City Council Meetings are held in Council Chambers at 276 Fourth Avenue in the Civic Center Complex. See the City Clerk's web page for agendas and meeting times, as well as a map of the Civic Center Complex.    

Question: How do I see a section of the Municipal Code for Chula Vista?    
Answer: You may view the Municipal Code here.    

Question: How do I get a copy of a resolution, an ordinance, or minutes?    
Answer: See the City Clerk's web page    

Question: How do I get a copy of other documents that were approved by the City Council?    
Answer: See the City Clerk's web page    

Question: How do I know what jobs are available?    
Answer: The City of Chula Vista lists all open positions on the Human Resources website and on the job hotline, 619-691-5095. Job announcements for open positions are also available at the Human Resources Department located at 276 Fourth Avenue, Chula Vista. Depending upon the position, the City also advertises in various newspapers, publications and websites.    

Question: How do I apply for a position?    
Answer: A City Employment Application form is required for all open positions. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City Employment Application but may be submitted with the application. Applications will not be accepted after 5:00 PM on the closing date listed. The City does not accept applications and resumes for positions that are not currently open.

You may apply for an open position in two ways. First, you can apply over the internet using our online system. To register to use the online system, CLICK HERE. If you prefer to complete a paper City Employment Application form, you may 1) call Human Resources at 619-691-5096 and request an application form be either mailed or e-mailed (PDF format) to you 2) visit the Human Resources Department and pick up an application. Once you have completed the paper Employment Application, you may either mail it to Human Resources at 276 Fourth Avenue, CA 91910 or submit the application in person Monday-Thursday between 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM. The City is closed on Fridays.

Question: How long does the process take?    
Answer: Applications for open positions are accepted for a minimum of 10 business days. All job announcements state what the filing deadline is. Please be aware that applications will not be accepted after 5:00 PM on the closing date. Applications and, if applicable, supplemental applications are reviewed and, based upon the content of the applications materials, the most highly qualified candidates are selected to continue in the testing process. The process generally takes two weeks, however, it is not uncommon for the City to receive over 200 applications for a position, which may extend the application review period. The entire process, from the opening of the recruitment to the final selection of a candidate, can take up to two to three months.    

Question: How can I find out the status of my application?    
Answer: If you have created an Employment Profile through “Apply On-Line”, you can check your status at anytime. Remember it generally takes up to two weeks or more to review all submitted applications. All applicants will receive either an email or written letter stating the results of either the initial screening or any of the testing processes used.    

Question: What testing processes do you use?    
Answer: Prior to a position being open to receive applications, the testing process is determined. This process may include one or all of the following: supplemental application; written test; performance test; physical agility test; performance agility test; and interview panel. Applicants will receive either an email or written letter inviting them to each step of the testing process.    

Question: What is an eligibility list and what does it mean to be certified?    
Answer: Once the testing process is completed, applicants receive their final score and rank and are subsequently placed on an eligibility list. An eligibility list is a list of successful candidates, in rank order, and is provided to the hiring department for consideration in compliance with the City of Chula Vista Civil Service Rules. The City of Chula Vista Civil Service Rules “certify” the top three ranks from the eligibility list to the hiring department in alphabetical order. The hiring department then conducts final interviews and makes a selection. Individuals that are certified and not selected will remain on the eligibility list until the list expires. Eligibility lists generally expires after 12 months.    

Question: What benefits does the City of Chula Vista offer?    
Answer: The City provides a choice of health care and dental plans, , flexible spending accounts, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance and a choice of 457 deferred compensation plans. The City also provides retirement plan through the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS). New employees go through a comprehensive benefit orientation the first week they begin work. During the orientation, employees are informed in great detail about their new benefits. For more detailed information CLICK HERE.    

Question: Do new employees have a probationary period?    
Answer: New employees, with the exception of sworn Police and Fire safety personnel, serve a probationary period of 12 months. Sworn Police and Fire safety personnel serve a probationary period of 18 months. Once a new employee passes probation, the employee is then in a classified position and benefits from protections of the Civil Service Rules. Senior and Executive management positions "At-Will" and serve at the pleasure of the respective appointing authority. The City Manager and City Attorney are also at-will and serve at the pleasure of the City Council. Senior and Executives are in the unclassified service.    

City Of Chula Vista



Arrrow Back To Top  


©2013 City of Chula Vista. All Rights Reserved.

Employees Only