|The Chula Vista Public Library is pleased to offer a new e-reading technology from the California State Library that gives young children an exciting new way to experience books and learn to love reading. Library patrons have free access - at home or at their local libraries - to BookFlix, an online e-reading program from Scholastic that combines classic fictional video storybooks with similarly themed nonfiction ebooks to make reading exciting for children in grades Pre-K-3.
Available at www.chulavistalibrary.com with a library card, BookFlix pairs award-winning video based on some of the best-selling children's picture books of all time with related nonfiction ebooks from the rich libraries of Scholastic. Children will delight in watching their favorite books come to life on screen, then turning the electronic pages of an ebook to discover real-world facts and satisfy their curiosity about the world around them.
Designed to provide a constant interactive experience for young users, the unique features of BookFlix include:
- A "read-along" option that provides word-by-word highlighting so children can follow along as the fiction video is narrated and the nonfiction ebook is read aloud;
- Narrated text and definitions of key vocabulary words to support beginning and reluctant readers, as well as English Language Learners;
- Educational games and activities that encourage children to show what they have learned and to reinforce early reading skills like fluency, vocabulary development and reading comprehension;
- Biographies and interviews that introduce young readers to their favorite authors; and
- Safe, age-appropriate web links to encourage children to further explore topics that pique their interest.
For more information, visit the Chula Vista Library at 365 F Street or on line at www.chulavistalibrary.com