City Of Chula Vista
Like Us on Facebok   Follow us on Twitter - ThinkChulaVista!   

City of Chula Vista Site Map Contact Us City Calendar of Events Frequently Asked Questions City Services What's New In Chula Vista Chula Vista Attractions About Chula Vista Chula Vista Home
Whats New Arrow
All News Releases  
City Calendar  
Community Connection Newsletter  
Newsletter Archives  
blocker blocker


  What's New

Back To News

Summer is almost over and some residents are already thinking about football parties, family gatherings and holiday celebrations. The City of Chula Vista Police Department (CVPD) wants our residents to have fun, but also to be safe and obey the laws. The City does not have any type of noise permit, however, there are several ordinances party planners should be aware of prior to making plans. To help make your party a success, remember the following:

• The Social Host ordinance cracks down on anyone who hosts or allows a party where minors are drinking alcohol.

• The Loud Party ordinance discourages music, radios or other amplified noise that are turned up too loud in residential neighborhoods between 11 p.m. and 8 a.m.

So what happens if you violate any of these laws? CVPD can cite offenders on a first response to a complaint of a loud party. Similarly, the Social Host ordinance gets tough about underage drinking. Adults, often family members, are frequently a source of alcohol for minors. Social host liability laws send a clear message that adults have a responsibility in the way they manage their homes or other properties to prevent underage drinking parties. Offenders are people who host, organize or allow the event; and people responsible for the residential or commercial property where the drinking occurs. Those who violate the ordinances may face serious consequences including fines up to $1,000 and jail sentences as long as six months.

The Loud Party ordinance allows police to seize, as evidence, any equipment creating too much noise, including vehicles.

For more information about these ordinances, please call the Chula Vista Police Department Community Relations Unit at (619) 691-5187.

For further information on Chula Vista’s municipal code, please go to for loud parties (§17.24.040 through §17.24.060) and social host (§9.14.010 through §9.14.070). The California Business and Professions Code explains the law for selling alcohol to person under 21 (§23300); furnishing alcohol to person under 21 (§25658) and possessing alcohol by person under 21 (§25662(a)). You can find the Code at

Posted: August 25, 2014

City Of Chula Vista



Arrrow Back To Top  


©2013 City of Chula Vista. All Rights Reserved.

Employees Only