ABOUT CHULA VISTA ELECTIONS
It is the duty of the City Clerk to conduct local elections in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. Chula Vista consolidates its elections with statewide elections in June and November of each even numbered year. As of 2016, Councilmembers are elected by district. The Mayor and City Attorney continue to be elected at large. The two candidates who receive the most votes at the June election run off in November. If there are two or fewer candidates for any seat, the election for that seat will be held in November. In November, the candidate with the highest number of votes is elected. The term for each position is four years, and there is a limit of two consecutive terms.
UPCOMING ELECTION - June 5, 2018
Chula Vista’s next general municipal election will be consolidated with the statewide primary election on Tuesday, June 5, 2018. The top two vote-getters from the June election will then appear on the November 6, 2018 ballot.
The purpose for the 2018 elections is to elect individuals to the following seats:
- City Attorney
- Member of the City Council, District 1
- Member of the City Council, District 2
Candidates may begin to run for office eleven months prior to the election (pursuant to Chula Vista Municipal Code section 2.52.040 E).
Please visit our City Measures/Petitions page for more information about measures and petitions.
CITY COUNCIL DISTRICTS
Councilmembers are elected by district as of 2016.
CAMPAIGN DISCLOSURE STATEMENTS
REGISTER TO VOTE - Remember, you must re-register if you have moved or changed your name and you must be registered 15 days prior to the election in order to vote.
- Online registration available: Register to Vote
- Registration forms are also available in the Office of the City Clerk and at all Chula Vista Public Library branches.
- Voter information, including polling locations, and frequently asked questions can be found on the Registrar of Voters' website.
OTHER ELECTION INFORMATION
ELECTION RULES AND REGULATIONS
- California Elections Code
- Political Reform Act of 1974
- City Charter
- Chula Vista Fine Assessment and Wavier Policy for Late Filings of Campaign Statements
- Chula Vista Municipal Code Chapter 2.52 (Campaign Contributions)
- Chula Vista Municipal Code Section 19.60.600(K) (Political Signs)
- Chula Vista City Council Policy No. 465-02 (Signs)
- Chula Vista Municipal Code Section 2.52.125 (Electronic Filing of Campaign Disclosure Statements)