ABOUT CHULA VISTA ELECTIONS
It is the duty of the City Clerk to conduct local elections in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. Chula Vista consolidates its elections with statewide elections in June and November of each even numbered year. Effective with the 2016 elections, Councilmembers are elected by district. The Mayor and City Attorney continue to be elected at large. The two candidates who receive the most votes at the June election run off in November. If there are two or fewer candidates for any seat, the election for that seat will be held in November. In November, the candidate with the highest number of votes is elected. The term for each position is four years, and there is a limit of two consecutive terms.
UPCOMING ELECTIONS - June 7, 2016 & November 8, 2016
Members of City Council Districts 3 and 4 will be elected in 2016, as follows:
Only two candidates for District 3 submitted sufficient nomination papers and qualified for placement on the ballot. In accordance with Section 300.A.3 of the Chula Vista Charter, because there are only two qualified candidates, the election to the position will occur at the November 8, 2016 runoff election.
The first election for District 4 will be held June 7, 2016. The top two vote-getters in the June election will be the candidates in the runoff election on November 8, 2016.
LOG OF QUALIFIED CANDIDATES
| Qualified for Ballot
|3|| Padilla, Steve
|3|| Paguio, Jason
|4|| Diaz, Mike
|4|| Ramirez, Rudy
|4|| Reyes, Eduardo
|4|| Soto, Emmanuel
CITY COUNCIL DISTRICTS
Effective with the 2016 elections, Councilmembers are elected by district.
CAMPAIGN DISCLOSURE STATEMENTS
REGISTER TO VOTE - Remember, you must re-register if you have moved or changed your name and you must be registered 15 days prior to the election in order to vote.
- Online registration available: Register to Vote
- Registration forms are also available in the Office of the City Clerk and at all Chula Vista Public Library branches.
- Voter information, including polling locations, and frequently asked questions can be found on the Registrar of Voters' website.
OTHER ELECTION INFORMATION
ELECTION RULES AND REGULATIONS
- California Elections Code
- Political Reform Act of 1974
- City Charter
- Chula Vista Fine Assessment and Wavier Policy for Late Filings of Campaign Statements
- Chula Vista Municipal Code Chapter 2.52 (Campaign Contributions)
- Chula Vista Municipal Code Section 19.60.600(K) (Political Signs)
- Chula Vista City Council Policy No. 465-02 (Signs)
- Chula Vista Municipal Code Section 2.52.125 (Electronic Filing of Campaign Disclosure Statements)