The Chula Vista Public Library, located in Chula Vista, California, is comprised of dynamic state-of-the-art libraries delivering information, books in English and Spanish, videos, CDs, digital media, and community programming to the City's residents nearly every day of the year.
All Chula Vista Libraries provide access to reference sources and updated information on library events, furthering our commitment to provide users with the latest information through innovative technology.
The South Chula Vista Branch Library (155,000 volumes), the Civic Center Branch Library (185,000 volumes) and the Otay Ranch Branch Library (17,000 volumes) offer full library service in English and Spanish.
The Board of Library Trustees works with the Library Director; represents the needs of the community and advises the City Council on issues pertinent to the City's libraries; reviews library policies; provides feedback on library activities and plans.
History of the Library
1888 Chula Vista, once part of the Mexican Land Grant
El Rancho de la Nacion, and owned by the
Santa Fe Railway and Land Company, was
platted as a community.
1891 Concerned citizens formed the
Chula Vista Library Association.
Chula Vista incorporated as a city.
The development of the lemon industry and the growth in population inspired community leaders to apply for a grant of $10,000 from the Carnegie Corporation of New York to the build a new library.
The library was the centerpiece of civic life through the Great Depression.
1955 Population and economic growth again spurred the building of a new library.
1976 A combination of Federal Revenue Sharing and city financing resulted in the building of a new bicentennial library on the site of the former F Street Elementary School.
The state of the art South Chula Vista branch was built under the direction of renowned Mexican architect Ricardo Legorretta.
Eastlake Public Library closed as CVPL prepares to open the Otay Ranch Library in a the Otay Ranch Shopping Center.
Otay Ranch Branch Library opens.
“The Hub” community space opens at the Otay Ranch Branch Library.
The promise made to the Carnegie Corporation in the 20th Century continues to be fulfilled in the 21st Century with plans to meet the community's future informational needs through intellectual access, electronic access, and future new libraries.