Check out the City's Newsletter, Community Connection.
CHULA VISTA CITY COUNCIL FY 2018-19 BUDGET RELEASED FOR PUBLIC REVIEW AND INPUT
The Chula Vista City Council voted on May 22 to accept the City Manager’s Proposed Budget for fiscal year 2018-19. Per the City Charter, the City Council proposed budget is now available for public review at least ten days in advance of the adoption of the budget. The final budget will be considered for adoption on June 12, at 5 p.m.
As required by the City Charter, the City Manager’s proposed budget was submitted to the City Council at least 35 days before the beginning of the fiscal year.
The combined budget for all City funds totals $347.5 million including a General Fund operating budget of $174.7 million and a Capital Improvement Program (CIP) budget of $30.1 million. The budget also includes $18.1 in Measure P funding.
Budget highlights include
- Increase in public safety personnel and equipment
- Funding of five Peace Officers
- Deployment of 12 full time firefighters using SAFER grant funds received in fiscal year 2017-18
- Replacement of obsolete and aging fire and police vehicles
- Second full-year of Measure P funding with $16.7 million allocated for infrastructure improvements.
- Adopted Measure P budget includes funding for residential street repair, sport court
repairs, renovation of Loma Verde Recreation Center, Woman’s Club, Civic Center and South Libraries, Norman Park Senior Center, parks enhancements, traffic signal system improvements and other much needed infrastructure improvement projects.
- Citizens’ Oversight Committee affirmed that the adopted fiscal year budget is in compliance with the Infrastructure, Facilities and Equipment Expenditure Plan
- Funding of several City initiatives
- Bayfront Development
- Smart City Strategic Action Plan
- Master Plan for University and Innovation District
- Climate Action Plan 2020 Update with CCA outreach and analysis
- Supports residential and commercial development
- Increased hotel tax revenue with opening of a new hotel
- Development underway for more than 1,000 residential units
- New 300,000-square-foot Class A Office complex in Millenia in process
Council will consider the adoption of the fiscal year 2018-19 budget at the meeting on June 12, 2018. At that meeting, the City Council will hold a hearing to give the public an additional opportunity to participate in the budget process. In compliance with the City Charter, a notice of this meeting will be published in the local newspaper at least ten days prior to the public hearing. The City Council may propose additional budget modifications after considering testimony at the public hearing.
To view the proposed Chula Vista FY 2018-19 budget or to provide comments, visit www.chulavistaca.gov/budget.
The June 12 City Council meeting will be held in Council Chambers at 276 Fourth Avenue beginning at 5 p.m. To view the City Council agenda and link to the live webcast, go to www.chulavistaca.gov/cityclerk. The meeting also is broadcast live in the City of Chula Vista on AT&T U-Verse Channel 99 and Cox Cable Channel 24.