CHULA VISTA CITY COUNCIL APPROVES FY 2019-20 BUDGET
On June 4, the Chula Vista City Council approved a $387-million budget for fiscal year 2019-20. The combined budget for all City funds includes a General Fund operating budget of $197 million and a Capital Improvement Program (CIP) budget of $26.8 million. The budget also includes $18.3 million in Measure A and $18.3 million in Measure P funding.
“This fiscally responsible budget is balanced, maintains existing staffing levels, advances Measure A public safety hiring, and continues our progress on infrastructure thanks to Measure P funding,” said Chula Vista Mayor Mary Casillas Salas.
Budget highlights include
- FY 2019-20 budget is balanced and maintains current staffing and service levels
- Projected to maintain General Fund minimum Operating Reserve level at 15 percent
- Measure A $18.3 million sales tax funding is adding a total of 44 public safety positions between the mid-year additions in FY 2019 and FY 2020
- 23.0 Fire Department Positions (22 Sworn, 1 Non-Sworn)
- 21.0 Police Department (12 Sworn, 9 Non-Sworn)
- Measure P $18.3 million sales tax funding is allocated for fire and police vehicles, fire station repair/replacement, upgrades to Civic Center and South libraries, parks infrastructure, street and sidewalk repair and replacement, and renovations of Norman Park Senior Center, Loma Verde Recreation Center and other facilities
- The Measure A and Measure P Citizens’ Oversight Committees affirmed that the funds identified in the budget are in compliance with the adopted Measure A and Measure P expenditure plans
- Funding key City initiatives
- Bayfront Development
- Smart City program implementation
- Master Plan for University and Innovation District
- Supports residential and commercial development
- Increased hotel tax revenue with more hotels
- Development underway for more than 1,000 residential units
- Partnership with Metropolitan Transit System to develop a mixed-use development at 707 F Street and 750 E Street
The Chula Vista FY 2019-20 budget is available at www.chulavistaca.gov/budget.