Major improvements are coming to western Chula Vista’s busiest north-south corridor over the summer and fall of 2019.
The City of Chula Vista will build new bike lanes on Broadway from C Street on the north end to Main Street on the south end. Broadway currently has no bike lanes; adding them will provide a safer north-south route for bicyclists, encouraging more people to get out of their cars.
The City will also install a variety of traffic signal upgrades intended to smooth the flow of cars, bicycles and pedestrians along and across Broadway by responding and adjusting to real-time traffic conditions. The upgrades will also help city traffic engineers better understand and manage traffic patterns. These upgrades include:
- New traffic signals at the intersections of Broadway and G and Broadway and F
- Video detection systems that provide accurate counts of vehicles and bicycles traveling through key intersections
- Traffic monitoring cameras that allow traffic engineers to study traffic patterns at specific times of day
- Dedicated short-range communications (DSRC) antennas that will enable future vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2X) communications to support autonomous vehicles
- Bluetooth sensors that anonymously measure the time it takes to travel between certain points along the corridor
- Fiber-optic cable to support advanced traffic signal communications
Additionally, the City is working with MTS to build new bus shelters for the MTS Route 932 bus stops on Broadway.
Learn about additional improvements the City is making as part of the Broadway Corridor Improvements.