Important Updates:

COVID-19/Coronavirus - The City of Chula Vista is here to serve you. While in-person services are limited, many services are available online. For more details, please visit our Coronavirus page here




Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Animal Care

  • What do I do if I have an animal emergency?

    Please call (619) 476-2476 during open hours.  If your animal emergency is after hours or weekends, please call Police Dispatch at (619) 691-5151.

    If you have been bitten by an animal or your pet bit someone else, if you see an injured animal or if you see an animal; dead, alive or injured – creating a traffic hazard or involved in a situation that is dangerous to human safety. Learn more
  • What can I do about a barking dog?

    It is perfectly normal and reasonable for dogs to bark from time to time, just as children make noise when they play outside. However, continual barking for long periods of time (at least 55 straight minutes) needs to be addressed to avoid disturbing the peace of neighbors. If a dog's barking has created neighborhood tension, we always recommend you discuss the problem with your neighbors. If that effort does not solve the problem we ask that you fill out Barking Dog Complaint Form since we don't always experience the barking first hand when we go out to the location.  We rely on formal complaints from neighbors as proof of a barking dog violation in case of a citation or hearing. 

    Please follow the process below:

    • To report a barking issue, please submit the Barking Dog Complaint Form.  This will result in a notification letter to the Dog Owner regarding the complaint.
    • If the problem persists after a minimum 2 week period has elapsed and you would like to continue the process, a second Barking Dog Complaint Form must be received from you and also one from a neighbor at a different address.  A second letter will be sent to the Dog Owner.
    • Thankfully barking issues are usually resolved by these first steps.  If however, the barking has not stopped, we will need to receive one more completed Barking Dog Complaint Form from either you or the other neighbor.  Once it's received, our Animal Control Officers will issue a citation to the Dog Owner.  

    For more detailed information look at the Barking Dog section of the Chula Vista Municipal Code (CVMC 6.24.040 Barking dogs, enforcement procedure and nuisance.)

  • What can I do about feral (wild) cats?

    Animal Control Officers do not pick up feral or community cats. The best thing to do is leave them where they are. If they got out of their house they will generally find their way home. If they are outdoor cats, they are just roaming. If you know they are unowned animals the best way to help is called Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR). You may rent a humane trap from the Animal Care Facility with a $60 cash deposit, when available. You'll make arrangements with the facility for a TNR appointment. You'll bring in the trapped cat, we will spay/neuter it, and then you pick it up to be released in the same area. Your deposit will be refunded upon return of the trap.

    Community Cat Information

  • What do I do about coyotes in my neighborhood?

    Coyotes and other wildlife live in our communities. Animal Control works with domestic animals or injured/abandoned wildlife. We urge residents to call both California Fish and Wildlife at 858-467-4201 and San Diego County Wildlife Services at 1-800-486-0010 since both of these agencies are tasked to deal with coyote populations. You should report to them there have been attacks on domestic animals. And of course if there is an imminent threat to human life you should call 911.

    The main deterrent is to not have a food source for them.  Trash should not be left out in bags and trash cans should be secured. Food, like pet food, should not be left outside. Even bird feeders should be kept in high areas not accessible to coyotes. Fruit that drops from trees should be picked up quickly.  There are also deterrents like motion sensor lights.  

    Wildlife Information

  • Where can I learn more about microchips?

    Please visit our Pet Ownership Assistance page for more information.
  • What should I do if I find a stray dog?

    The City of Chula Vista's Municipal Code states the following:

    6.24.190. Harboring of Strays

    No person shall harbor or keep any lost or stray dog for a longer period than 24 hours. Any person finding a lost or stray dog shall forthwith notify the animal shelter and turn it over to them. (Ord. 3226 § 1, 2012; Ord. 1706 § 2, 1976. Formerly 6.24.140).

    Pet owners will look for their lost animals at their local animal shelter.

  • Does the Animal Care Facility adopt out pets?

    Yes! The Animal Care Facility has many great pets available for adoption. You can view them online at or come visit us!

  • Where can I purchase a dog license?

    Dog licenses may be purchased online or at our facility anytime during business hours. Click here for Location/Hours/Contact Information.

  • When should I get my dog licensed?

    All dogs over the age of four months residing in Chula Vista must be licensed. They should be licensed within 30 days after being brought within the City or upon reaching the age of four months. Renewals may be purchased in 1 and 3-year increments. Either use the online system or complete and mail/return a license renewal form– Thank you!

    For more detailed information look at section 6.20.020 of the Chula Vista Municipal Code.

  • I lost my dog or cat, what should I do?

    Please visit our Lost & Found page.
View Full Site