Michael Shirey has been with the Chula Vista City Attorney’s Office since May 2006. Before coming to work for Chula Vista, Mr. Shirey worked as an engineer and as an attorney for a number of Southern California municipalities.
Mr. Shirey’s clients include: the Planning, Engineering and Building Departments; the City Clerk’s Office; Finance and Purchasing; the Parks and Recreation Department; City Council; and he is the lead counsel for the City’s Planning Commission and Growth Management Oversight Commission.
Mr. Shirey counsels his clients on the Political Reform Act, Brown Act and California Public Records Act in addition to his primary work on environmental and land use issues for the City.
Mr. Shirey has been lead counsel or worked on the following projects and significant issues for the City:
- Chula Vista Bayfront Master Plan
- South Bay Power Plant Demolition
- Otay Land Company Village 8 & 9
- Otay Ranch/JPB Villages 2, 3, 8 East and 10
- Eastern Urban Center/Millenia
- University Site
- Historic Preservation
- SR 125
- Urban Core Specific Plan
- Election Issues
- Development and Traffic Impact Fee Issues
- Park Acquisition and Development Issues
- General Plan and Growth Management Issues
Undergraduate : San Diego State University
Law School: Thomas Jefferson School of Law