Important Updates:

COVID-19/Coronavirus - The City of Chula Vista is here to serve you. While in-person services are limited, many services are available online. For more details, please visit our Coronavirus page here




Filing Claim for Damages

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Should I file a Claim for Damages?

A Claim for Damages can be filed if you feel that you have lost money or property as a result of any action or inaction by the City of Chula Vista. Pursuant to Section 911.2 of the California Government Code and Chapter 1.34 of the Chula Vista Municipal Code, all claims for death, injury to a person or to personal property must be filed within six months of the incident date. Claims for damages to real property and claims for monies purportedly owed by the City such as refunds and contract damages must be filed no later than one year after the occurrence from which the damages arose. Claims for Damages may be submitted online, in person, or by US Mail and are processed by the City Attorney's Office.

This form is for the convenience of those desiring to present claims against the City. Claimant is advised to consult a private attorney if legal advice is desired. No employee of the City may give legal advice to any claimant relating to private claims.

Claims Policy and Process

Our goal is to respond to claims promptly and fairly and to make the process easy for you. In our evaluation of your claim, we may review records, interview witnesses or employees, and perform a technical evaluation. You can help by providing complete and accurate information and documentation.

The process may take longer when complex issues are involved, when further information is needed, or when extenuating circumstances are present. Once our investigation is complete, we will contact you with our conclusion. We will comply with the California Government Tort Claims Act (California Government Code 810, et seq.) with respect to responding to individual claims.

If the City accepts responsibility for damage to a claimant's personal property, it will compensate the claimant for the least cost of the following: repair, fair market value or replacement. For items that are not new and cannot be repaired, fair market value is determined by the estimated value the item would have just prior to the damage occurring.

What supporting documentation is needed?

You can help us process your claim more quickly by completing your claim form thoroughly and by providing supporting documentation. Documents may include:

  • Detailed photographs of the alleged damage
  • For claims regarding property damage: repair estimates, invoices, proof of purchase
  • For personal injury claim: medical records, receipts

How to Submit a Claim for Damages

The first thing to do when filing a claim is to gather all supporting documentation; be sure to retain the originals of any paperwork you submit. For your convenience, there are two ways you can submit your claim to use:

Option 1. Submit your claim online. You may file your claim entirely online. You will be prompted through a series of questions and can upload images and files to support or document your claim. You will not be able to save your claim form and come back to complete it. Please have all information and documentation ready before you begin. Please review the Claim for Damage Informational Sheet to learn more about the information needed to complete the online form.

Option 2. Submit a Claim for Damages form to the Office of the City Clerk in person or by US Mail. To submit your claim via these measures, please complete a Claim for Damages Form (PDF) (English/Spanish) and return it to us along with all supporting documentation.

Office of the City Clerk, City of Chula Vista, 276 Fourth Avenue, Chula Vista, CA 91910




View Full Site