- Prepare and distribute City Council meeting agendas
- Record and maintain a full record of Council proceedings
- Prepare and process documents for recording
- Publish and post notices required under the Ralph M. Brown Act, the Maddy Act, and other sections of the California Government Code
- Receive and monitor required filings under the Political Reform Act and the Conflict of Interest Code
- Update the Municipal Code, the City Council Policy Manual, and process Charter amendments
- Maintain the Citywide records management and document imaging programs, including processing requests for public records
- Provide research assistance to the City Council, staff, and the public
- Administer elections in accordance with statutory requirements
- Oversee the appointment process and provide support for the City's boards and commissions staff
Kerry K. Bigelow, MMC, City Clerk
Kerry Bigelow was appointed the City Clerk in September 2017. Ms. Bigelow has been involved in local government in a variety of capacities, including volunteer, commissioner, and full-time employee over 20 years. In 2004, Ms. Bigelow began her career with the City of Chula Vista, and has served in the City Clerk’s office since 2012. In addition to working in the public sector, she also has professional experience and education in the private and nonprofit sectors. For three years, she worked part-time as an adjunct faculty member at a local university and, prior to beginning at the City of Chula Vista, she was a software/process improvement analyst for a large insurance company for more than six years.
Ms. Bigelow holds a Bachelor’s degree in Business and a Master’s degree in Public Administration, with additional graduate-level coursework in Nonprofit Leadership. She has been awarded the designation of Master Municipal Clerk from the International Institute of Municipal Clerks (IIMC). She participates in a number of professional organizations, including the International Institute of Municipal Clerks, City Clerks Association of California, Women Leading Government, and International City/County Management Association. She is a mentor for city clerk professionals seeking their Certified Municipal Clerk or Master Municipal Clerk certifications, as well as the elected Region 9 Director and member of the Board of Directors of the City Clerks Association of California.
Ms. Bigelow is highly passionate about contributing to positive change in local government through continuous improvement and by providing courteous, accurate, and timely service and support to the community, City staff, and the City Council. She accomplishes this goal with a team of five very dedicated, professional staff members, who are proud to serve the Chula Vista community.