ABOUT CHULA VISTA ELECTIONS
It is the duty of the City Clerk to conduct local elections in accordance with federal, state, and local laws. Chula Vista consolidates its elections with statewide elections in March and November of each even numbered year. As of 2016, Councilmembers are elected by district. The Mayor and City Attorney continue to be elected at large. The two candidates who receive the most votes at the March election run off in November. If there are two or fewer candidates for any seat, the election for that seat will be held in November. In November, the candidate with the highest number of votes is elected. The term for each position is four years, and there is a limit of two consecutive terms.
Chula Vista’s next regular municipal election will be consolidated with the statewide Primary election on Tuesday, March 3, 2020.The top two vote-getters from the March election will then appear on the November 3, 2020 ballot.
The purpose of the 2020 elections is to elect individuals to the following seats:
- Member of the City Council, District 3
- Member of the City Council, District 4
Candidates may begin to run for office eleven months prior to the election (pursuant to Chula Vista Municipal Code section 2.52.040 E).
Please visit our City Measures/Petitions page for more information about measures and petitions.
CITY COUNCIL DISTRICTS
Councilmembers are elected by district as of 2016.
CAMPAIGN DISCLOSURE STATEMENTS
REGISTER TO VOTE - Remember, you must re-register if you have moved or changed your name and the deadline to register is 15 days prior to an election.
- Online registration available: Register to Vote
- Registration forms are also available in the Office of the City Clerk and at all Chula Vista Public Library branches.
- Voter information, including polling locations, and frequently asked questions can be found on the Registrar of Voters' website.
OTHER ELECTION INFORMATION
ELECTION RULES AND REGULATIONS
- California Elections Code
- Political Reform Act of 1974
- City Charter
- Chula Vista Fine Assessment and Wavier Policy for Late Filings of Campaign Statements
- Chula Vista Municipal Code Chapter 2.52 (Campaign Contributions)
- Chula Vista Municipal Code Section 2.52.125 (Electronic Filing of Campaign Disclosure Statements)
Political Sign Regulations
- Summary of Chula Vista Sign Regulations
- Chula Vista Municipal Code Section 19.60.600(K) (Political Signs)
- Chula Vista City Council Policy No. 465-02 (Signs)