Important Updates:

COVID-19/Coronavirus - The City of Chula Vista is suspending operations except for critical public safety operations. For other exceptions and additional information visit our Coronavirus page here.




Special Services

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Republic Services Coronavirus COVID-19 UPDATE

Republic Services will temporarily stop collection of bulky items and personal yard waste cans in Chula Vista. This in order to minimize the propagation of Covid-19 through additional exposure to their employees. Please note, yard waste carts will be collected along with the trash and recycling carts. Personal yard waste cans will not be serviced as the drivers are staying inside their trucks and only cart contents will be collected for trash, recycling and yard waste.

Republic Services is evoking contract section 13.9 Uncontrollable Circumstances to temporarily stop these services for the health and safety of Chula Vista residents and their employees. Those services will resume as soon as public health authorities allow for activities to resume. Additionally, residents are strongly encouraged to always place all trash and recyclables inside their respective carts in order to avoid litter, specially when carts are placed at the curb for collection.  

Looking for Landfill Passes?

Due to the recent health risk of Corona Virus (COVIC-19) we are temporarily mailing passes only.

LANDFILL PASS Voicemail: (619)482-4024

Please Note: Only messages regarding landfill passes will be answered. If you are calling about another service request call the Customer Service line (619)421-9400

Please include the following details in your voicemail:
Your full name, service address and phone number. 
Trash & Recycling is still being picked up on your schedule day.

Click here for Spanish version.

Landfill and Yard Waste Passes - Provided at no costs as part of your trash service

Collection cart service customers in good standing can get two landfill passes and two yard waste passes per year to the Otay Landfill. You may request passes from Republic Services to be mailed to your home by calling 619-482-4024 or you can pick them up in person at their office located at 2590 Main Street, Chula Vista, CA 91911 Office hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm & Saturdays 8am-12pm. Passes are good for 90 days from the date their issued to you.


  • Recycle: Please load your vehicle to keep the following materials separated for recycling: concrete/asphalt, metals, appliances, clean wood and yard waste.
  • Load Limits: Each pass may be used for a maximum material weight of 1 ton. Loads over 1 ton will be charged at current landfill rates.
  • Secure Loads: Please be careful to secure all materials in your vehicle before transporting. Use a tarp, rope or other means to ensure that no material is lost in transit.
  • Helmets: You will be required to use a helmet at all times, if you do not have one helmets are available for sale at the landfill booth.



Otay Landfill

Monday–Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. and
Saturdays 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.

1700 Maxwell Road,

Chula Vista, 91911

(619) 421-3773



Free Bulky Item Collection Service

Homes and businesses with cart service

Up to 10 bulky items can picked up weekly, or 60 items in any 90 day period, free of charge. Additional items may be picked up for a small fee.
Please call Republic Services at (619) 421-9400 at least 24 hours before your service day to schedule this special service.


Apartment managers or homeowner association representatives may schedule FREE collection of bulky items by calling Republic Services at (619)421-9400 - Please contact your complex representative. .

Bulky items include:

  • Empty propane tanks
  • Scrap metal
  • Washers or dryers
  • Refrigerators
  • Lawn furniture
  • Sofas
  • Chairs
  • Mattresses
  • Grills
  • Appliances
  • Flocked or plastic holiday trees

Difficult-to-handle items over 60 pounds that cannot be handled with a hand truck will be picked for an additional charge


Tree RecyclingHoliday Tree Recycling

Homes and businesses with cart service

Place your tree at the curb on your collection day.


Apartment managers or association representatives can call Republic Services at (619) 421-9400 to find out when pick up is scheduled at their complex. Please contact your complex representative for more information.


To prepare your tree for recycling or disposal:

  • Remove all ornaments, tinsel, and garland
  • Take tree out of plastic or metal stands
  • Cut the tree so that each portion is 4 feet or less

Flocked or plastic trees are not recyclable and must be disposed of as a bulky item.


Cooking Oil

Homes and businesses with cart service

Turkey Oil RecyclingPlace your used cooking oil in a bottle or container with a watertight lid.

  1. Call Republic Services at (619) 421-9400 two days before your regular collection day, then put your oil at the curb for pickup.
  2. Take your oil to the Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Facility* located at 1800 Maxwell Road on Wednesday and Saturdays from 9am to 1pm (except holiday weekends).


Please bring your cooking oil to the Household Hazardous Waste Drop-off Facility detailed above.





View Full Site