Important Updates:

COVID-19/Coronavirus - The City of Chula Vista is suspending operations except for critical public safety operations. For other exceptions and additional information visit our Coronavirus page here.




Filming Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Please correct the field(s) marked in red below:

To ensure that everything goes smoothly and successfully, here are the steps you'll need to follow to get a filming permit in Chula Vista. Please allow one week to process applications.  

Apply online!

Step 1: Click NEXT PAGE below to complete the online form or print and complete the PDF application. The fee for less than 10 cast and crew is $150 per day.  For more cast & crew, the fee is $300 per day.

General Permit Questions:

Office of Communications

email Olga Berdial
or call (619) 409-5445

Apply for a Business License or Make a Payment:

Finance Department 

276 Fourth Avenue
Mon - Thurs: 9
 am - 4 pm
Fri: 9 am - 12 pm

Map it  |  City Hall Complex Map 

Step 2: Get liability insurance for all filming on City-owned, controlled, or maintained property. See "Insurance Requirements" below for details. If filming will be on private property, please attach a letter from the property owner/manager authorizing use of the premises.
Step 3: Get a Chula Vista Business License.  The cost is prorated based on the quarter you are applying. Annually, the cost is $52.50 plus $6.50 for each additional employee on site. New Applicants:  Apply in person at the Finance Department (map it  |  City Hall Complex Map). Renewals: Renew online!
Step 4: Wait for The Office of Communications to contact you (you'll be contacted prior to your filming date).  We will review your application and walk you through completion and the payment process. For large filming projects, police or other services may be needed upon review of your application, and we'll have specific information when we contact you. 
Step 5: Pay the Filming Permit Fee once you receive the final amount due. Download and complete the Statement of Fees Form and bring it with you to the Finance Department.


  • Policy must be issued by an admitted insurer licensed for business in the State of California, and have an A.M. Best Rating A V (5) or better. The policy must be primary and non-contributory to any other insurance available to the City.  A minimum of thirty (30) days written notice of policy cancellation is required for any reason, other than non-payment of premium. 
  • Provide a certificate evidencing General Liability insurance for bodily injury, property damage, and personal injury on a per occurrence basis. Limit will be determined by the City of Chula Vista Risk Management Division; additional insurance may be necessary.
  • Provide an Additional Insured Endorsement naming the City of Chula Vista, its officials, officers, agents, employees and volunteers as additionally insured. Endorsement page must include name of insured, policy number and period.
  • Evidence of Auto Liability Insurance for coverage of $1,000,000 per accident for Bodily Injury and Property Damage.
  • Certificate of Workers Compensation Insurance for $1,000,000.
    View Full Site