Important Updates:

COVID-19/Coronavirus - The City of Chula Vista is here to serve you. While in-person services are limited, many services are available online. For more details, please visit our Coronavirus page here




Special Event Permit

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Please correct the field(s) marked in red below:

Chula Vista has many great places to hold an event!  To ensure that everything goes smoothly and successfully, here are the steps you'll need to follow to get a special event permit. Depending on the nature of your event, additional permitting and approvals may be required. Please allow 45 days prior to your event date for the application process.

Apply online!

Step 1:

Determine the type of event you want, and have a date and location in mind. The fee for an event with NO road closure is $150; it's $300 for events with road closures. Please review the Special Event Guideline Summary. Other things to consider:

  • Will you have a stage?
  • Will you need traffic control or a street closure?
  • Will you need security or Police services?
  • Will you have first aid or medical services on-site?
  • Will you be serving alcohol?
  • Will there be booths/vendors selling merchandise?
  • Will there be temporary structures or generators?
  • Trash/Recycling requirements 

Special Event Questions:

Office of Communications

email Olga Berdial
or call (619) 409-5445

Want to drop everything off in person?

Download, print, and complete the PDF Application, create your visual map and obtain a copy of your insurance certificate, and drop off packet to Olga in the Office of Communications.You will be contacted with the next steps once your application is reviewed.


Get Business License and Pay Fees:

Finance Department 

276 Fourth Avenue
Mon - Thurs: 9
 am - 4 pm
Fri: 9 am - 12 pm

Map it  |  City Hall Complex Map

Step 2:

Where will your event be located? The Office of Communications will reserve the venue on your behalf if on City property, and once your application has been reviewed and approved.

Step 3:

Make an event map. Please print or draw a map of the area (with streets listed) and make indications on it to give us a visual. Include all areas with vendors, food, portable toilets, alcohol sales, generators, vehicles, food trucks, first aid, fencing, trash/recycling, etc. (Include all potential event features in detail.) You will need this completed, scanned map when you submit your application in Step 5. See sample map.

Step 4: Get event liability insurance for events on City-owned, controlled, or maintained property (see "insurance requirements" below).  Complete, print and sign the Waiver & Release of Liability form.  Scan both the certificate and waiver to upload with your application in the next step.
Step 5:

Click NEXT PAGE below to begin the online form. Be sure to click the button to upload your map illustration (step 3) and insurance certificate (step 4) before hitting "Submit". (You'll see the upload links at the end of the form and it will prompt you through the process.) Your application will be received by the Office of Communications.  

Step 6:

Wait for the Office of Communications to contact you.  We will review your application and walk you through completion and the payment process. For large events, police or other services may be needed upon review of your application, and we'll have specific information when we contact you.

Step 7:

Pay fees and obtain business license through the Finance Department. NOTE: Non-profit organizations are exempt from business license fees.

Fees:  Once the fee amount is confirmed, download and complete the Statement of Fees Form - you will need it when you pay the permit fee.

Business License:  The cost is prorated based on the quarter you are applying. Annually, the cost is $52.50 plus $6.50 for each additional employee on site. New Applicants:  Apply in person at the Finance Department (map it  |  City Hall Complex Map). Renewals: Renew online!


  • Policy must be issued by an admitted insurer licensed for business in the State of California, and have an A.M. Best Rating A V (5) or better. The policy must be primary and non-contributory to any other insurance available to the City.  A minimum of thirty (30) days written notice of policy cancellation is required for any reason, other than non-payment of premium. 
  • Provide a certificate evidencing General Liability insurance for bodily injury, property damage, and personal injury on a per occurrence basis. Limit will be determined by the City of Chula Vista Risk Management Division; additional insurance may be necessary.
  • Provide an Additional Insured Endorsement naming the City of Chula Vista, its officials, officers, agents, employees and volunteers as additionally insured. Endorsement page must include name of insured, policy number and period.
  • Evidence of Auto Liability Insurance for coverage of $1,000,000 per accident for Bodily Injury and Property Damage.
  • Certificate of Workers Compensation Insurance for $1,000,000.

    View Full Site