Important Updates:

COVID-19/Coronavirus - The City of Chula Vista is here to serve you. While in-person services are limited, many services are available online. For more details, please visit our Coronavirus page here




Rental Housing

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


 Assistance During COVID-19 

NEW UPDATE:  Rental Assistance Program is now at capacity and we will not be accepting any new applications.  (5/14/2020)

Eviction Moratorium for Residents and Commercial Tenants - Delay in Rent Payment
The City of Chula Vista on March 17, 2020 enacted an eviction moratorium, consistent with California Governor's Executive Order N-28-20, that takes effect March 18, 2020. The moratorium stops residential/commercial tenant evictions and suspends foreclosure for nonpayment of rent or mortgage when a tenant's or homeowner's income has been substantially impacted by COVID-19 and that impact can be adequately documented. The moratorium runs through June 30, 2020, as extended by the Chula Vista City Council.  Please be adivsed that the Eviction Moratorium does NOT waive or relieve you from your contractual obligations for unpaid rent due BUT keeps you in your housing or business during this time.

For more information, please visit our Assistance to Support During COVID-19 webpage and/or download our Notification for Eviction Protection - Residents  or Notification for Eviction Protection - Commercial Tenants form here.

Affordable Rental Complexes

LosVecinosFamilySeveral complexes within Chula Vista offer affordable housing opportunities to qualifying low-income families.  Each of these complexes offer units at various affordability levels. Please contact individual complexes directly for current availability and affordability requirements

Housing Choice Voucher Rental Assistance

(formerly known as Section 8)

This HUD funded program subsidizes the rents of qualified very low-income tenants to affordable levels.  In general, to be eligible for a housing choice voucher, a household's income may not exceed 50% of the area median income (AMI) adjusted for household size.  A family that is issued a housing voucher is responsible for finding a suitable housing unit of the family's choice where the owner agrees to rent under the program.

For Chula Vista residents, the Housing Choice Voucher Program is administered by the County of San Diego Housing Authority.  You may apply in person or online.  For all other cities, please contact the respective Housing Authorities administering the Housing Choice Voucher Program (other cities).  If you are interested in learning about portability to or from Chula Vista you must contact the County.

Who to Contact

Housing Authority of the County of San Diego
3989 Ruffin Rd
San Diego CA 92123
TOLL FREE (877) 478-5478 | LOCAL (858) 694-4890

Find a place to live using GoSection8's listing for affordable housing.  

Independent Living or Group Living Arrangements

Independent living is sponsored in privately-owned homes or complexes that provide housing typically for adults with mental illness and other disabling health conditions in a shared living environment. They serve residents that do not need medication oversight, are able to function without supervision, and live independently.

Who to Contact

Independent Living Association Directory

Report Issues & Concerns for Group Living

Law Summary for Group Living Arrangements

Landlord-Tenant Resources

Whether renting a room, an apartment, a house, or a duplex, the relationship between a renter and the property owner is governed by federal and state laws.  If a problem occurs, the renter and property owner should try to resolve the problem by open communication and discussion. Any issues that come up are resolved as matter by two private parties. The City of Chula Vista does not enforce federal and state laws related to landlord-tenant issues.

Resources for both tenants and landlords focus on California laws and are available by clicking here.

Fair Housing

If you believe you been a victim of illegal discrimination or have questions regarding landlord/tenant disputes visit our Fair Housing page.

View Full Site