Landlord Tenant

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

rentalinfoWhether renting a room, an apartment, a house, or a duplex, the relationship between a renter and the property owner is governed by federal and state laws. Any issues that come up are resolved as a matter between two private parties. The City of Chula Vista does not enforce federal and state laws related to landlord-tenant issues. The following information and resources may be of assistance to you:


Department of Consumer Affairs A Guide to Tenant’s and Landlord’s Rights and Responsibilities
(PDF; 2012)

San Diego Superior Court Self Help Center


Legal Aid Society of San Diego (if they are low-income

(866) 244-0101

110 South Euclid Avenue San Diego, CA 92114

 Lawyer Referral & Information Service and Landlord Tenant Information from the San Diego County Bar Association.
This service refers people with legal questions to attorneys who have signed up for the service and who have been screened. The referral is free. The service provides contact information for attorneys, and the initial 30 minute consultation is free.

(800) 464-1529
(619) 231-8585

San Diego Volunteer Lawyer Program
Free civil legal services to disadvantaged families, seniors, persons with disabilities, persons infected with HIV or AIDS, and domestic violence survivors in San Diego County.  Contact this group by attending a clinic at one of several locations.


707 Broadway, Suite 1400
San Diego, CA 92101

CSA San Diego County
The City of Chula Vista contracts with CSA of San Diego County regarding landlord-tenant and fair housing issues. Please contact CSA regarding these matters.

131 Avocado Avenue

El Cajon, CA 92020

Tenants Together is a statewide coalition of local tenant organizations dedicated to defending and advancing the rights of California tenants to safe, decent, and affordable housing.
info @
(415) 495-8100

Elder Law & Advocacy
Assists all seniors 60 and over regardless of income.  Limited advice about a wide range of legal issues, including financial elder abuse, landlord/tenant problems, contractual disputes, consumer issues, and benefits problems. Preparation of some documents such as Advance Healthcare Directives and Powers of Attorney.

(858) 565-1392

5151 Murphy Canyon Rd
Suite 110
San Diego, CA 92123

Code Enforcement

Our Code Enforcement Division is tasked with educating the public in code issues and working with the citizens to achieve Chula Vista Municipal Code compliance. The City enforces code violations related to illegal construction and conversions or unpermitted trash, junk, and debris. Please see the information below to report a potential code violation.

For issues within a rental unit which may affect the livability of the unit and the health and welfare of the tenants, you may also contact our Code Enforcement Division to file a complaint. 

 Report a Violation

If you believe there are code violations in your neighborhood or home, report the violation and Code Enforcement will investigate, generally within two working days.

Online| Print & Fax/Mail Form | Phone (619) 691-5280 | ACT Chula Vista

Tenants who have been affected and have documented information may also claim a violation of implied warranty of habitability. This relates to tenant-landlord issues that are resolved between the two private parties.



View Full Site