Important Updates:

COVID-19/Coronavirus - The City of Chula Vista is here to serve you. While in-person services are limited, many services are available online. For more details, please visit our Coronavirus page here





Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

  • What is the Innovation Station?

    Learn more about the Innovation Station here.
  • How do I reserve a room?

    Meeting rooms, gallery space and a Computer Lab are available to all community groups engaged in educational, cultural, intellectual or charitable activities. Learn more here.
  • How do I get a library card?

    A library card is free to all California residents. Learn how to apply for one here.
  • How will Measure A tax dollars be spent?

    Measure A will provide a half-cent sales tax to fund public safety staffing and services. The new tax will allow the Chula Vista Fire and Police Departments to add police officers and firefighters to provide faster responses to 9-1-1 emergency calls, increase neighborhood police patrols, reduce gang and drug-related crimes, address homelessness, and improve firefighter, paramedic and emergency medical response times.

  • How much funding will be generated with Measure A?

    More than $17 million annually will be generated for public safety staffing and services.
  • How do I know that the sales tax funds will be spent appropriately?

    Measure A included strict accountability provisions with a separate account to track income and expenses, annual audits and an independent citizens’ oversight committee to ensure that all funds are spent appropriately. The City Council has approved an intended funding plan that will identify how the tax dollars will support public safety staffing and services. The half-cent sales tax is considered a general tax and can be used for any lawful municipal purpose.

  • How is the City of Chula Vista maintaining the quality of life for local residents?

    We are fortunate to live in a great community with quality local schools, safe neighborhoods, a vibrant economy and beautiful surroundings. In order to protect our quality of life here in Chula Vista, our City works with the community to identify our most urgent needs.
  • What are the current needs facing our community?

    The City of Chula Vista, like many cities throughout the country, is struggling to properly fund and maintain public safety staffing. Public Safety, which includes police and fire services, is a top priority in the City of Chula Vista. The City allocates 67% of discretionary revenues to Police and Fire services combined. However, staffing levels for Police and Fire are below regional, state, and national averages.

  • How is the City including public input on Public Safety staffing?

    The City Manager has formed the Public Safety Advisory Committee (PSAC). The committee includes Chula Vista residents, business owners, community leaders and others. The committee has worked with staff liaisons from Fire, Police, Administration and Finance Departments to secure public input that would assist in creating Public Safety Staffing reports and recommendations for City Council consideration.

  • Why is the City proposing a half-cent sales tax increase?

    At the direction of the City Council, staff reviewed revenue options to address the need for additional public safety staffing. Those options included sales tax, property tax, Public Safety Community Facilities District, Public Safety Fees and Fee Increases, and Transient Occupancy Tax. Input was provided at the Public Safety Advisory Committee as well as in community presentations, through a scientific, public opinion survey and public input at the September 26 and December 19, 2017 City Council meetings. Following the meetings, public input, and reports from the Police and Fire Departments, the City Council directed the City Manager to return with a recommendation for a half-cent sales tax on the June or November 2018 ballot.

  • How will the funds be spent?

    The City Council has approved the Intended Public Safety Expenditure Plan (Plan). The Plan identifies two phases to address the staffing shortage in public safety. Phase I outlines the most critical needs identified by the Police and Fire Departments for the next 10 years.

    The Chula Vista Police and Fire Departments have developed a phased plan to address critical staffing needs. Phase I identifies a ten-year strategy to fill positions starting Fiscal Year 2018/19 through FY 2028/29.

    • Chula Vista Police Department – In Phase I, 43 police department positions will be filled. The sworn positions include 29 officers, agents and sergeants. Phase I also includes hiring 14 civilian positions including dispatchers, community service officers, background investigators, and facilities and systems managers.
    • Chula Vista Fire Department – In Phase I, 36 fire department positions will be filed which includes a deputy chief, fire captains, firefighter/paramedics, firefighters, and a public education specialist.

    Although addressing these needs does not solve the staffing crisis entirely, it does allow the departments to significantly improve the service level provided to residents and businesses throughout the City. Phase I public safety critical needs could be funded by a half-cent sales tax measure which would generate approximately $17 million per year. Phase II public safety critical needs could move forward as the City’s economic base improves and major transformational projects begin moving forward such as the Bayfront and University development projects. Other funding options may also be considered in the future as part of the annual budget process. The half-cent sales tax is considered a general tax and can be used for any lawful municipal purpose. The City will establish a separate account to track income and expenses, annual audits and an independent citizens’ oversight committee to ensure that all funds are spent appropriately.

  • When will the measure be on the ballot?

    The measure will be on the June 5, 2018 ballot.

  • What is the Public Safety Advisory Committee?

    The City Manager formed the Public Safety Advisory Committee (PSAC) in August 2017. The committee includes Chula Vista residents, business owners, community leaders and others. The committee has worked with staff liaisons from Fire, Police, Administration and Finance Departments to secure public input that would assist in creating Public Safety Staffing reports and recommendations for City Council consideration.

  • What is the process of improving the City’s public Alleys?

    Financing of concrete alleys is provided through the formation of an assessment district (Resolution 2013-232/Council Policy No. 505-01). In order to initiate an assessment district, you will need to obtain the signatures of at least 60 percent of the property owners on a petition. Under assessment district procedures, the City will take care of design and other staff costs and any utility relocation, while the property owners will need to pay their share of construction costs.  At least 50 percent of the weighted vote of property owners (based on assessment amounts) will need to be in favor of the assessment district for the project to be constructed.
  • Where do I apply for the Utility Permit?

  • What is the City’s Utility Trench Moratorium Policy?

  • What is the City’s Capital Improvement Program (CIP) for Pavement Rehabilitation?

    The City has an annual CIP allocation consisting of major and minor pavement rehabilitation.  Major Pavement Rehabilitation projects consist of street overlays and reconstructions throughout the City, and are identified with the prefix “STM”. Minor Pavement Rehabilitation projects are mainly for street preservation and are identified with the prefix “STL”.  Pavement maintenance includes the use of ARAM, slurry, chip and other types of seals.

    The selection of street segments for both types of projects comes from a five year list of streets selected to match each year’s funding appropriations.  Priority is given to high volume and high speed streets classified as collectors and arterials as approved by the City Council’s Resolution number 2007-080.

    Measure P Pavement Rehabilitation Project

    This new Pavement Rehabilitation Project (STL) is funded by Measure P and intended to be active until 2027. This project will focus on the rehabilitation of residential streets with PCI's ranging from 0 to 25. The street selection for this project varies in that the streets in worst condition, though unlikely to be prioritized in other programs, will be repaired first.

  • How are the pavement repair and preservation funded?

    The following funding sources (approximately $5 million/year) are generally used for maintenance and rehabilitation of pavement with PCIs between 40 and 84:

    • TransNet: Half-cent sales tax for local transportation projects
    • Gasoline Tax: Includes excise tax and sales tax
    • General Fund: Also known as Maintenance of Effort
    • Grants:

    A new funding source in 2017 is Measure P, which includes approximately $24 million over a 10-year time frame to rehabilitate local streets with PCIs between 0 and 25. Chula Vista voters approved a temporary ten year half-cent sales tax to fund high priority infrastructure needs, including pavement rehabilitation.

  • What is the City’s pavement network and condition?

    Currently the City is monitoring a total of over 3000 (2017) street sections with 1,176 (2017) in total lane miles.  The City’s average PCI is 74 (2017) compared to an average PCI of 62 (2014) for the State of California. Below is how the City’s PCI compared with Cities in San Diego County.

  • What is the Pavement Management System (PMS) process?

    Every three to five years, the City hires a consultant to update its PMS database in order to provide an objective assessment of the pavement condition citywide.  The Consultant conducts an expert evaluation of the pavement surface of all City streets, ranks each street based on a Pavement Condition Index (PCI) between 0 and 100 (with 100 being “like new”), and recommends an appropriate maintenance strategy based on street PCIs. Below is a summary of the pavement condition and rehabilitation strategies for the City’s streets.


    % of Streets from 12/31/16

    Action Required

    Cost per Square Foot



    Requires maintenance treatment only (such as thin seals)

    $0.69 - $2.06



    Requires rehabilitation (such as seals with dig-outs, overlays)

    $0.69 - $2.06



    Requires major rehabilitation (such as rubberized or thick overlays)




    Requires reconstruction (removal and new construction of pavement, may also include base layer underneath)


  • What is the City’s Pavement Management System (PMS)?

    The City initiated and has maintained PMS since 1986 in accordance with the California Streets and Highway Code.  In 2006, the City implemented a new PMS tool, StreetSaver database, to assist staff in determining priorities and rehabilitation strategies for the entire city and the City’s long-term rehabilitation needs.  The state requires a PMS in order for a jurisdiction to be eligible for state funding. (

  • What is the Public Safety Advisory Committee?

    The Public Safety Advisory Committee (PSAC) has been established by the City Manager to provide input into the development of a report to address public safety issues in the City of Chula Vista. The committee includes Chula Vista residents, business owners, community leaders and others.
  • What is the focus of the report?

    Chula Vista Fire Department (CVFD) and Chula Vista Police Department (CVPD) are collaborating to assess factors affecting public safety. This information will be featured in the report that will evaluate current conditions in the public safety departments, assess the needs of the community, and make recommendations on how to best meet those needs. The committee will provide input to ensure the report effectively responds to and plans for current and future public safety priorities.
  • What is the timing of this effort?

    The committee will provide input into the report planned to be presented to the City Council on September 26, 2017. Following City Council feedback and direction, staff will engage with the Public Safety Advisory Committee to provide input into additional assessments, reports, or other materials.
  • How much is the new sales tax?

    The new sales tax is a half-cent. The sales tax increase will be collected starting April 1, 2017. The total tax rate in Chula Vista will be 8.25%. All residents, visitors, and tourists will pay the sales tax. For every $100 in taxable items the increase in sales tax is 50¢. Sales tax is not charged for groceries and prescription medicine.

  • How will funds be used to improve Chula Vista?

    The half-cent sales tax will be dedicated to high priority infrastructure projects including:

    • Pave, maintain and repair neighborhood streets and fix potholes
    • Upgrade or replace aging police, fire and 9-1-1 emergency response facilities, vehicles and equipment
    • Replace storm drains to prevent sinkholes
    • Upgrade irrigation systems to conserve water and save energy
    • Make essential repairs to older libraries, senior center and recreation centers
    • Improve our traffic signal systems
    • Repair our sports fields and courts and park infrastructure

    The temporary half-cent sales tax will provide local funding that will directly support Chula Vista’s priority projects. The Infrastructure Facilities and Equipment Expenditure Plan outlines how the funds will be used. The Plan was approved by the City Council on December 6, 2016. The funds can only be spent in the City of Chula Vista and cannot be diverted to other local or state agencies. A Citizens Oversight Committee is being formed to review proposed expenditure plans and all audits.

  • What is the Citizens Oversight Committee?

    The Measure P Citizens Oversight Committee (COC) will review and report on all Measure P expenditure plans, financial reports, and audits. The framework for the COC, which was outlined in the ballot measure, specifies that 11 of the COC members serve as “Designated Members.” Designated Members were nominated by local organizations and individuals such as the Chula Vista Chamber of Commerce, Chula Vista Youth Sports Council, Chula Vista Growth Management Oversight Commission, and the Chula Vista Police and Fire chiefs. The remaining five members are “At-Large Members” selected from a pool of applicants who applied directly to the City. There is at least one “At-Large Member” appointed from each of the four City Council districts. The City Council interviewed and appointed each of the 16 members.
    The Measure P COC roster consists of Designated Members: Lileana Robles, nominated by Alliance of Californians for Community Empowerment; Zulema Maldonado, nominated by Chula Vista Chamber of Commerce; Robert Ziomek, nominated by Chula Vista Fire Chief; Donald Hunter, nominated by Chula Vista Police Chief; Leon Firsht, nominated by Chula Vista Director of Public Works; Michael Lengyel, nominated by Chula Vista Growth Management Oversight Commission; Thomas Doyle, nominated by Chula Vista Parks & Recreation Commission; David Garcias, nominated by San Diego & Imperial Counties Labor Union; Todd Voorhees, nominated by San Diego Taxpayers Association; Robert Coleman, nominated by Chula Vista Sustainability Commission; and, Silvestre Vigilante, nominated by Youth Sports Council. At-Large Members are: District 1, Paula Whitsell; District 2, Christopher Redo; District 3, Jason Prater; District 4, Christopher Sheridan; and At-Large - Any District, Mona Freels.

  • What was the Measure P ballot question?

    Voters approved Measure P on the November 2016 ballot with the intent to address high priority infrastructure needs. The ballot question voters approved is

    “To repair neighborhood streets and sidewalks, replace storm drains to prevent sinkholes, update police, paramedic and 9-1-1 equipment and facilities, improve parks, repair recreation facilities, and for general city services and infrastructure, shall the City of Chula Vista adopt an ordinance enacting a temporary ½ cent sales tax, generating an estimated $16 million per year, expiring in 10 years, with no further increases without voter approval, with all funds staying in Chula Vista, requiring citizen oversight and independent audits?”

    Residents, visitors, and tourists will all pay the increased sales tax. For every $100 in taxable items the increase in sales tax would be 50¢. Sales tax is not charged for groceries and prescription medicine.

  • How do I know that funds will be spent appropriately?

    Measure P puts in place strict accountability provisions, such as annual audits and the establishment of the Citizens Oversight Committee (COC) to ensure that all funds are spent appropriately. The COC will review proposed expenditure plans and annual audits Applications for the 16-member COC are now being accepted. More information available here.

  • What is the AMPAC?

    To help identify the needs of our community and to evaluate the state of our infrastructure, the City formed the Asset Management Program Advisory Committee (AMPAC) in March 2014. The committee includes local leaders and residents from throughout our community and is critical to helping   identify our infrastructure needs and prioritizing improvements. The committee continues to provide input into setting priorities for the Asset Management Program.

  • How can I get more information?

    Visit the City's Measure P page and sign up to receive the monthly Community Connection newsletter with updates about infrastructure projects and other City events and activities.

  • I want to have an event in one of the City parks, do I need a reservation?

    It is unlawful in a City park to use a group picnic shelter or other public area designated for group use of 25 or more persons without prior authorization from the City or its designees. C.V.M.C. 2.66.310
  • What are the requirements to be a Commissioner?

    Commissioners must be residents and registered to vote in the City of Chula Vista. In accordance with Charter section 300.5.J, the Districting Commission will serve until its dissolution which likely will be the 91st day following approval of a Final Districting Plan.

  • Who is the Districting Commission?

    The details of the Districting Commission are prescribed in City Charter section 300.5.  The Chula Vista Districting Commission is overseeing a process for holding public meetings, proposing districts, conducting public outreach, and finalizing recommendations for four City Council district boundaries to be used in future City elections. The Commission holds monthly meetings on the Monday of each month in City Council Chambers. All Commission members live in and are registered to vote in the City of Chula Vista. The seven-member commission is:

    Rita Buencamino-Andrews 
    Ms. Buencamino-Andrews is a retired analyst from the City Clerk's office, City of San Diego. She served as a Partnership Specialist for 2010 U.S. Census. She has been recognized for exemplary leadership and service to the Filipino American community.

    Cheryl Goddard
    Ms. Goddard is a Land Use/Environmental Planner for the County of San Diego and primarily works in the South County. She has a background in Urban Studies and Planning and Ethnic Studies and also serves on the Casillas Elementary School Site Council.

    Dr. John Korey
    Dr. Korey is a retired professor of Political Science from Cal Poly Pomona. He has published papers on political and voting trends, civic engagement, and California politics. He has been active in local service organizations and was an instructor for citizenship training classes.

    Dr. Reynaldo Monzon
    Dr. Monzon is an administrator at San Diego State University. He has been involved in various committees, councils and community-based organizations in Chula Vista including the Chula Vista Elementary School District and Sweetwater Union High School District.

    William Richter
    Mr. Richter is an administrative associate at Sempra U.S. Gas & Power. He has experience in government affairs and communications. He has been involved in community and civic efforts and served on the City of Chula Vista Charter Review Commission.

    Jerome Torres
    Mr. Torres is a former member of the Redistricting Commission for the Long Beach Community College District and participated in the redistricting of the Council Districts for the City of Long Beach. He is a Senior Management Analyst and Risk Manager for the City of Coronado and has served as an analyst on the city, county, school district and university level. Mr. Torres serves as Chair of the Chula Vista  Districting Commission.

    Bernardo Vasquez
    Mr. Vasquez is the owner of Bernardo Vasquez State Farm Insurance Agency. He has served on committees for the Chula Vista Elementary School District and Sweetwater Union High School District. He served on the City’s Asset Management Program Advisory Committee. He also is the current Board President of the Eastlake Business Association. 

  • What are Census block groups?

    The Census bureau releases data on many different geographies, called "units of analysis." Census block groups are one such unit. The smallest unit is the Census block. We use census blocks to "build" the districts because those are the smallest unit on which the total population counts are reported, thus blocks give us the most accurate data for how many people live in each district. Census block groups consist of a number of blocks. Some datasets are only reported by Census block group, such as some variables in the American Community Survey.

  • Which data are used to draw district lines?

    To equalize the populations in the districts, the Commission has to use the PL94-171 dataset. That is the dataset that was compiled from answers to the 2010 census questionnaire. This dataset has a number of different variables, including the count of the total population. This dataset does not differentiate between citizens and non-citizens: everyone who lived in the United States on Census day (April 1, 2010) and who filled out a form is counted. Districts are not equalized based on registered voters or on citizens. Districts are equalized based on the total population.

    The Commission will also use other data sources to inform their district lines. Most important are data that are collected from participants in the districting process who provide the Commission with information about their Communities of Interest.

  • What information does the Districting Commission need from me?

    In the initial phases of the process, it is most important for the Commission to hear from you about your Community of Interest (COI). Once the Commission has constructed initial draft maps, it will be useful for the Commissioners to get feedback on whether their district drafts will work for the residents of Chula Vista or how they could be improved.

    Identifying Communities of Interest is one of the districting criteria the Commission will use to draw district lines. In order to comply with this criterion, the Commission needs to learn where the COIs in Chula Vista are located. Information and data about COIs are extremely limited from "official" sources. The Commission needs to hear from the public to make sure that they do a good job complying with this criterion. Once they understand what and where the COIs are, they can incorporate them into the maps to avoid splitting them inadvertently.

    The Commission needs to hear from you about what defines your community and where it is located. What is the basis or common interest that brings you and your community members together? For example, a COI might exist around a local school where people may participate in activities, around a bus transportation line that is commonly used by community members, around a park that is maintained by group of community members, or around an area with people that share a common cultural or language background. Sometimes, a COI is the same as a neighborhood. Just looking at a map, it is mostly impossible to know what common interests people living in a certain area share. Your information will help the Commission better understand what is going on with the people living in the different areas of the city,  and this will help them know what areas should be kept together in districts.

    You can submit your input on Communities of Interest using the contact form, preparing a map using an online mapping application, or submitting another map drawing. Please include the common interest you share with your community members along with your map. If you don't submit a map, you can describe it by outlining important landmarks, such as schools, parks or religious buildings located in the COI or neighborhood. Boundaries may include the streets or other physical features such as train tracks, rivers/creeks/washes, parking lots/shopping centers, etc., that form the outside borders of your community. This allows the Commission to locate your community on the map they will use to draw districts.

  • When are the hearings and what will happen there?

    Public Input Hearings

    The Commission will schedule five public input hearings plus one line-drawing meeting. After these hearings, a preliminary Districting Plan will be available for review. The Commission will then hold five additional public hearings to get your feedback on their preliminary Districting Plan, and then make modifications to the districts as necessary.

    The Commission is holding five public input hearings in April to hear from members of the Chula Vista community. At the public input hearings, the Commission's consultants will provide a brief training for all attendees and an opportunity for attendees to look at maps and data before providing testimony. Participants will be able to fill out a form that describes your neighborhood or community of interest to submit to the Commission or you can tell the Commission about it in person.

    Line Drawing Meeting

    Following the public input hearings, the Districting Commission will meet in City Hall on April 24 and 25 to draw lines for potential Council District boundaries and completing the Preliminary Districting Plan. The public meeting will be televised and live on the web. The Line Drawing Meeting is dedicated to working on and completing the preliminary plan.

    Preliminary Districting Plan Input Meetings:

    In May, the Commission will convene five public hearings to solicit public comments about the Preliminary Districting Plan. Following these public hearings, the Commission will consider the public input and then vote on the plan and send the Recommended Districting Plan to the City Council.

  • How can I get involved in the Districting Commission?

    The Commission will ask for your input in a variety of ways. You can come to one or more of the ten public hearing workshops and tell the Commission about your community directly. You can attend one of the Commission's business meetings and provide information during open forum. You can request that translation services be provided at the hearings in the following languages: Spanish, Filipino, Vietnamese and Traditional Chinese.

    If you can't attend a hearing, you can tell the Commission about your community in writing. You can drop off or send information to the Commission at the City Clerk's Office:

    Chula Vista Districting Commission
    c/o Chula Vista City Clerk
    Building A
    276 Fourth Ave.
    Chula Vista, CA 91910

  • Why should I get involved in the Districting Commission?

    The Commission needs to hear from you to help it make informed decisions about where to draw district lines. In particular, it needs information from you about your neighborhoods and communities of interests. Only you know your communities and neighborhoods. Keeping your neighborhoods and communities together in the same district can help you get more responsive representation. By sharing that information with the Commission, you can help them avoid dividing your community into different districts.

  • How will the Districting Commission decide where to draw district lines?

    The Commission's decisions will be governed by federal and state legal requirements as well as criteria specific to Chula Vista. The U.S. Constitution requires districts contain roughly equal population and it and the federal Voting Rights Act (VRA) prohibit racial discrimination. The federal Voting Rights Act also prohibits discrimination because of race and/or language minority status in addition to practices that have a discriminatory effect, such as at-large elections or districts that make it harder for a racial or language minority group to elect a representative of choice. (The VRA defines "language minority" as Asian, Native American, Alaska Native, or Spanish heritage languages.)

    Chula Vista's decisions will be governed by specific criteria in the Chula Vista Charter and the federal Voting Rights Act. The Charter outlines the following criteria:

    • Districts shall have reasonably equal population as required by the Federal and State Constitutions
    • District boundaries shall be geographically compact and contiguous
    • Districts shall follow visible features and boundaries when possible
    • Districts shall respect communities of interest to the extent practicable
    • Disregard incumbents, candidates, political parties
  • What if my business is moving?

    Please notify the Finance Department of your change in business location by submitting a business license application and selecting the 'Change of Address' check box at the top of the form. 

    Issuing a business license for your new location may require multiple department approvals.  Annual business license taxes paid in the current year will transfer to your new location.  However, you will be charged a one-time $12 change of location fee, and a one-time zoning fee.  Additional fees may be charged based on the characteristics of your new location.

  • Can you put a crosswalk at intersection?

    The California Vehicle Code (CVC) defines crosswalks as the part of a roadway that is an extension of the walkways or sidewalks at the intersection.   Unless there’s a sign saying not to cross the street there, the crosswalk already exists.

    Not all crosswalks are marked.  That’s for a good reason: studies have shown that pedestrians at intersections where there are no stop controls or traffic signals are more likely to be struck by a vehicle while in a marked or painted crosswalk than in an unmarked crosswalk.  The reason apparently is that marked crosswalks may give pedestrians a false sense of security, believing that motorists will yield to them.

    Crosswalk markings are used to guide pedestrians to an appropriate crossing location.  The markings are not nearly as visible to an approaching motorist as they are to the pedestrian.  At intersections without stop signs or traffic signals (uncontrolled intersections) where it’s obvious where pedestrians should cross, crosswalks probably shouldn’t be marked.

  • How to report traffic signal lights and street light malfunction?

    You can report malfunctioning traffic signal lights and street lights 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to the Police Department at (619) 691-5151 or during normal business hours to Public Works – Operations at (619) 397-6000. You may also do so online by visiting our Service Requests page.

  • How long can a car stay parked on public roadway?

    Since the roadways are public, they are subject to the laws of the California Vehicle Code and the Chula Vista Municipal Code.  As long as vehicles are parked correctly, they are subject to the 72-hours parking limit.  Each home is typically required to have at least a 2-car garage and driveway in order to provide sufficient off-street parking.  For any home, the vehicles should first be parked within the garage.  Secondly, the driveway should be utilized.  Third, use any legal parking space available on the local public street.

    Any vehicle exceeding that limit is subject removal by the Police or Fire Departments in accordance with sections 22651 and 22669 of the California Vehicle Code.

    If you think there is an abandoned car in your neighborhood please call the Chula Vista Police Department at (619) 691-5151.

  • How can I get a stop sign installed on a neighborhood street to slow speeders down?

    Stop signs are installed according to the California Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (CA-MUTCD) to assign right-of-way at an intersection, not to control speeding.  According to the CA-MUTCD stop signs must meet certain sets of criteria, called warrants, so there is uniformity in their use around the nation.  As stated in the Manuals, uniformity must also mean treating similar situations in the same way, so every motorist understands what is expected of them, and the control devices are respected.  Stop signs are intended to assign right-of-way at an intersection and are not an effective means of speed control.  Installation of unwarranted stop signs results in a higher incidence of drivers violating the stop signs than occurs at a warranted installation.  This increases the possibility for the occurrence of accidents and also encourages a general disrespect for all stop sign installations.  Therefore, the City will not consider installing stop signs as a remedy for speeding problems and will, instead, refer the issue to the Police Department for enforcement.

    When evaluating an intersection for all-way stop control, various factors are studied to determine the need for an installation.  The physical factors (topography) of an area, vehicle volumes and speeds, roadway alignment (vertical and horizontal curves), accident history, pedestrian volumes and available sight distance are all taken into consideration. 

    All-way stop installations are for the assignment of right-of-way.  They work best where there are comparable traffic volumes on each intersecting street.  An all-way stop study may be warranted if there are significant traffic volumes entering the intersection, if there is an accident history at the location involving accidents that are correctable by the installation of an all-way stop and if existing traffic conditions cannot be mitigated by the addition of less restrictive controls (for example, improving sight distance by the addition of red curb).  All-way stop studies are generally not warranted for low volume or minor interior residential intersections where there is no accident history or for “T”- intersections involving a cul-de-sac.

    If there is an intersection that you think we should investigate for the installation of stop signs please contact Traffic Engineering at (619) 691-5026.

  • Can I get red curb painted for School Bus Stop?

    There is no need to paint road to identify “school bus stop.  When a bus needs to stop, a “Stop” sign is engaged to stop traffic in both directions for students’ safety, in accordance with the California Vehicle Code.  In addition, bus stops are frequently relocated based on need and school district policies.

  • Can I get red curb painted in front of the fire hydrant by my house?

    The California Vehicle Code has established the law regarding parking near fire hydrants. Pursuant to section 22514, no person shall stop, park, or leave standing any vehicle within 15 feet of a fire hydrant.

    Generally the City does not paint red curb in front of fire hydrants due to the high cost of maintenance.  The City has thousands of fire hydrants within the city limits and maintaining 30 feet of red curb in front of all of them would take away time that can be spent on other public facilities maintenance around the City.

    If a vehicle is parked too close to a hydrant in a fire emergency, the fire department will use all means necessary to gain access to the hydrant.  In non-emergency situations a vehicle parked within 15 feet of a fire hydrant is in violation of CVC22514 and can be cited by a Police Officer or Parking Enforcement Officer.

    If there is a vehicle parked in front of a fire hydrant, please call the Police Department at (619) 691-5151.  If there is a fire emergency, call 911 immediately.

  • Can the City install Children at Play or SLOW signs on my street?

    Children at Play signs are not recognized by the State of California or the Federal government as official traffic control devices, and are therefore not installed on public streets in the City of Chula Vista.

    Traffic studies have shown that these signs do not increase driver awareness to the point of reducing vehicle speeds or pedestrian accidents.  In fact, placement of the signs may actually increase the potential for accidents by providing a false sense of protection that does not exist and cannot be guaranteed.

  • How are speed limits established and how can I reduce or increase the speed limit on a particular street?

    Speed laws, as well as other traffic laws, are enacted by the State Legislature and compiled in the California Vehicle Code (CVC). 

    All states base their speed regulations on the Basic Speed Law: “No person shall drive a vehicle at a speed greater than is reasonable or prudent and in no event at a speed which endangers the safety of persons or property” (CVC 22350).

    California state law also establishes maximum speed limits. For example the maximum speed on an undivided two-lane roadway is 55 MPH (CVC 22349b).  All other speed limits are called prima facie limits, which are considered by law to be safe and prudent under normal conditions. Certain prima facie limits are established by California law and include the 25 MPH speed limit in business and residential districts and the 25 MPH limit in school zones when children are present.

    Local jurisdictions have authority to establish reduced speed limits on the basis of engineering and traffic surveys (CVC 22358).  Such surveys must include an analysis of roadway conditions, accident records and a sampling of the prevailing speed of traffic, (CVC 627).  Other factors may be considered, but an unreasonable speed limit, which is called a speed trap, may not be established, (CVC 40802).

    The Legislature has declared a strong public policy against the use of speed traps, to the extent that citations issued where a speed trap is found to exist are likely to be dismissed, particularly if radar enforcement methods are used (CVC 40803 – 40805).

    A provision of the vehicle code that California Courts have generally considered very important reads, “It is the intent of the Legislature that physical conditions such as width, curvature, grade and surface conditions, or any other condition not readily apparent to a driver, in the absence of other factors, would not require special downward speed zoning, as the basic rule of section 22350 is sufficient regulation as to such conditions” (CVC 22358.5).  The words, It is the intent of the Legislature, are intended to get the attention of traffic engineers and local jurisdictions in setting and maintaining local speed limits.  Such speed limits must be set carefully, as justified by appropriate factors, to avoid making such limits unenforceable.

    In all other areas the speed limit is set by an engineering and traffic survey which is done once every seven years for each segment of roadway.

    When traffic problems occur, concerned citizens frequently ask why we don’t lower the speed limit.  There are widely held misconceptions that speed limit signs will slow the speed of traffic, reduce accidents, and increase safety.  Most drivers drive at a speed that they consider to be comfortable, regardless of the posted speed limit.  Before and after studies have shown that there are no significant changes in average vehicle speeds following the posting of new or revised speed limits.  Furthermore, research has found no direct relationship between posted speed limits and accident frequency.

    Realistic speed limits help preserve uniformity of speed.  Uniformity of speed is valuable for a number of reasons:

    • It maintains consistency in traffic gaps for crossing traffic.
    • It enables pedestrians to more accurately judge the speed of traffic.
    • It reduces the possibility of conflict between faster and slower drivers.
    • It makes unreasonable violators more obvious to enforcement personnel.

    If you have further questions regarding the establishment of speed limits or a missing or needed speed limit sign, please call Traffic Engineering at (619) 691-5026.

    If you have concerns regarding the enforcement of speed limits please contact the Traffic Division of the Chula Vista Police Department at (619) 691-5151.

  • What is the process to have 25 mph Speed Limits posted?

    Regarding the posting of Speed Limit signs on the streets of residential areas in the City of Chula Vista, there are several factors that need to be considered. Generally, we do not post residential streets for two very basic reasons; 1) All residential streets in the State of California have a Prima Facie (“on the face of it”) speed limit of 25 M.P.H. as established by California Vehicle Code.

    This vehicle code section also defines exactly what constitutes a Residential Street, and, 2) the other reason for not posting speed limits on residential streets is simply a matter of money. We have hundreds if not thousands of residential streets in a city the size of Chula Vista, and the cost of posting speed limits on all of them, when it is already something that is enforceable by local Police Departments and should be something that all California drivers are aware of, is not a good use of the taxpayer's dollars. That is one of the reasons for the “Prima Facie” designation.

  • What is a speed hump and what is the speed hump policy?

    The City of Chula Vista does have a City Council Policy titled "Installation of Speed Humps for Residential Streets."  Please see the link below for specific information. A "speed hump" covers the entire width of a roadway, for a distance of about twelve feet, with a maximum height of about three inches. "Speed humps" differ significantly from the "speed bump" which are commonly found in parking lots and other private development areas. Bumps are often higher, and cover much less length of roadway, as little as one foot.

  • What if I already have a park reservation and want to add another air jump, have a bigger than 15x15 air jump or use another vendor like a food cart?

    The Parks Division has a Special Park Use Application for those types of requests and others that do not require additional permitting. All other events that are over 100 people need to go through the Office of Communications.
  • Are City Council meetings broadcast live?

    City Council meetings can be viewed live on television on Cox Cable 24 or AT&T Uverse 99 (only in the City of Chula Vista) or via live streaming on your computer, tablet or smart phone. City Council meetings are rebroadcast on Cox Cable 24 at 7 p.m. on the Wednesday following each Council meeting. All meeting videos are archived here.

  • What does the City Manager do?

    Chula Vista's City Manager is the executive officer of the City and is appointed by the City Council. This department is responsible for the proper administration of all affairs of the City of Chula Vista, including day-to-day operations. The Office of the City Manager provides the leadership and supervision that, in turn, implements the policies and decisions of the Chula Vista City Council; thereby ensuring the delivery of services to our community.

  • Can I drain my swimming pool?

    Yes. Pool water may be drained into the storm water drainage system only under the following conditions:

    • Must be free of all chemicals including hydrogen peroxide products or dechlorinating products
    • Must be free of all debris and vegetation
    • Must have an acceptable pH of 7-8
    • Must be free of algae (no green coloring)
    • Must be controlled so the flow does not cause erosion
  • What goes in your recycling bin?

    PAPERS - White paper, colored paper, letters, junk mail, dry food boxes, paper bags, cardboard, milk cartons, paper juice boxes, magazines, newspaper, catalogs, and phonebooks.

    CANS - steel/tin cans, aluminum cans, all California Redemption containers, EMPTY paint and aerosol cans.

    BOTTLES AND JARS - glass or plastic bottles and jars, all California Redemption containers.  For more information, click here.

    Please do not fill your recycling cart so full that the lid will not close.  Blowing litter contaminates and clogs waterways and storm drains.  An additional recycling cart is available at no charge, contact Republic Services at (619) 421-9400.

  • What number should you call to report that your trash / recycling / yard waste was not picked up?

    Contact Republic Services at (619) 421-9400.
  • Where do you dispose of old paint and other unwanted household hazardous waste?

    The City of Chula Vista's household hazardous waste collection facility is now open to the community on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., except for holiday weekends. The facility is located at the City's Public Works Operations Center at 1800 Maxwell Road. Residents can bring up to 15 gallons or 125 pounds of household hazardous waste including paint, auto fluids, etc. For more information, please visit Hazardous Waste Disposal
  • Can you wash your car in your driveway?

    Yes. However, a better choice is to wash your car on or near personal grassy areas, so you're watering the lawn rather than the street and storm drains. Or better yet, take your car to a commercial carwash.
  • What to expect as a new CVFD Firefighter?

    New recruits start with an intensive 12 week formalized training program (Fire Academy). This program consists of classroom instruction as well as drills designed to prepare the new recruit for a career in the fire service.
    After the formalized training, recruits are then assigned to one of the fire stations for on-the-job training. There, they will continue to learn the duties utilizing hands-on training from experienced firefighters.
    After successful completion of this training phase, the recruit will be assigned to another station to work rotating shifts on a 24-hour basis, which includes weekends and holidays. Firefighters may be required to work back-to-back shifts and be on-call as necessary by departmental activities and staffing levels. Fire Recruits serve a 12-month probationary period.
  • Why work for the CVFD?

    •  the City of Chula Vista is the second largest city in San Diego County and the seventh fastest growing city in the nation, encompasses over 50 square miles. It is rich in diversity and tradition and includes a large retirement community.
    • Chula Vista is rapidly expanding residentially, commercially, and industrially. As the city’s population increases, the demand for fire and emergency services is expanding.
    • The CVFD operates nine fire stations; the Fire Facility Master Plan has three more stations scheduled to open in the next several years.
    • Every year the Fire Department’s eight engines, two trucks, Heavy Rescue vehicle and brush engine respond to nearly 15,000 emergency and non-emergency requests including fire, medical, rescue, hazardous materials, and public assistance calls.
    • The FD has a training facility, which includes a 4-story training tower where firefighters learn skills such as fire suppression, heavy rescue, rappelling techniques, ladder placement and high-angle rescues. The site also includes a training room where up to 58 students can be instructed on urban search and rescue, disaster preparedness, and hazardous material safety.
    • The CVFD is also among the few fire departments in the United States that has an urban search and rescue dog.
  • What do I do if I have an animal emergency?

    Please call (619) 476-2476 during open hours.  If your animal emergency is after hours or weekends, please call Police Dispatch at (619) 691-5151.

    If you have been bitten by an animal or your pet bit someone else, if you see an injured animal or if you see an animal; dead, alive or injured – creating a traffic hazard or involved in a situation that is dangerous to human safety. Learn more
  • What can I do about a barking dog?

    It is perfectly normal and reasonable for dogs to bark from time to time, just as children make noise when they play outside. However, continual barking for long periods of time (at least 55 straight minutes) needs to be addressed to avoid disturbing the peace of neighbors. If a dog's barking has created neighborhood tension, we always recommend you discuss the problem with your neighbors. If that effort does not solve the problem we ask that you fill out Barking Dog Complaint Form since we don't always experience the barking first hand when we go out to the location.  We rely on formal complaints from neighbors as proof of a barking dog violation in case of a citation or hearing. 

    Please follow the process below:

    • To report a barking issue, please submit the Barking Dog Complaint Form.  This will result in a notification letter to the Dog Owner regarding the complaint.
    • If the problem persists after a minimum 2 week period has elapsed and you would like to continue the process, a second Barking Dog Complaint Form must be received from you and also one from a neighbor at a different address.  A second letter will be sent to the Dog Owner.
    • Thankfully barking issues are usually resolved by these first steps.  If however, the barking has not stopped, we will need to receive one more completed Barking Dog Complaint Form from either you or the other neighbor.  Once it's received, our Animal Control Officers will issue a citation to the Dog Owner.  

    For more detailed information look at the Barking Dog section of the Chula Vista Municipal Code (CVMC 6.24.040 Barking dogs, enforcement procedure and nuisance.)

  • What to expect during the testing process?

    There are several phases to the testing process:

    1. The written test will measure reasoning skills, mechanical aptitude, and reading comprehension. Successful testers move to phase two.
    2. The oral interview will include an evaluation of education, experience, interest, and personal qualifications for the position.
    3. Paramedic Simulation,  including megacode.
    4. Background Investigation.
    5. Conditional job offer when openings occur.


  • Is there a fee for Fire Department plan check review?

    Fees are charged for all plans reviewed by the Fire Department. The fees include review of plans and field inspection services.Fee Schedule
  • What can I do about feral (wild) cats?

    Animal Control Officers do not pick up feral or community cats. The best thing to do is leave them where they are. If they got out of their house they will generally find their way home. If they are outdoor cats, they are just roaming. If you know they are unowned animals the best way to help is called Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR). You may rent a humane trap from the Animal Care Facility with a $60 cash deposit, when available. You'll make arrangements with the facility for a TNR appointment. You'll bring in the trapped cat, we will spay/neuter it, and then you pick it up to be released in the same area. Your deposit will be refunded upon return of the trap.

    Community Cat Information

  • Preparing for the next recruitment?

    Firefighting positions are very competitive. Any additional training and education received in the Fire Science field will be of benefit. Consult a local community college for course information and the location of the nearest fire academy, as well as the local fire department regarding Fire Reserve programs. A high level of physical fitness should be maintained; firefighters must be in excellent physical condition at all times to safely perform the duties of their job. Cardiovascular fitness and upper body strength are essential. A good physical fitness program will help applicants pass the physical agility test.
  • What do I do about coyotes in my neighborhood?

    Coyotes and other wildlife live in our communities. Animal Control works with domestic animals or injured/abandoned wildlife. We urge residents to call both California Fish and Wildlife at 858-467-4201 and San Diego County Wildlife Services at 1-800-486-0010 since both of these agencies are tasked to deal with coyote populations. You should report to them there have been attacks on domestic animals. And of course if there is an imminent threat to human life you should call 911.

    The main deterrent is to not have a food source for them.  Trash should not be left out in bags and trash cans should be secured. Food, like pet food, should not be left outside. Even bird feeders should be kept in high areas not accessible to coyotes. Fruit that drops from trees should be picked up quickly.  There are also deterrents like motion sensor lights.  

    Wildlife Information

  • How long does it take for a plan check review by the Fire Department?

    • New Plan Review is 14 Calendar Days
    • Recheck Plan Review is 7 Calendar Days
    • Expedite is 7 Calendar Days

    All plans must be submitted with four sets of plans, completed permit application, and payment.

  • What services does a Chula Vista Firefighter provide?

    Today's firefighters provide many services in addition to responding to fires. Including:

    • Medical aids
    • Vehicle accidents & rescues
    • Hazardous materials spills
    • Public assistance
    • Fire prevention and public education
    • Advance Life Saving
  • What are the requirements to become a Firefighter?

    • Applicants must be 18 years of age at the time of application submission
    • High school diploma or G.E.D.
    • A California class "C" drivers license is required at the time of hire
    • Certification in Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) in the state of California
    • Applicants should also be physically fit to meet the demands of the job
    • Employment may be contingent upon completion of a pre-placement medical exam, which may include a drug screen and a psychological evaluation.
    • Proof of citizenship or provide documentation that gives the individual the legal right to work in the United States
    • Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), qualified individuals with a disability that require assistance during the testing process should notify the City of Chula Vista Human Resources Department one week prior to request reasonable accommodation
  • How to request a Fire Station Tour?

    The public is invited to visit any one of the nine fire stations for the purpose of learning more about our firefighter duties and to learn about Fire Safety and Prevention. However, due to training and other scheduled needs, please call (619) 691-5201 to make arrangements for fire station tours or submit a request online. Residents and groups should have the desired date and time selected for a tour before contacting the Fire Department.

  • Where can I find swimming pool information?

    You can visit the Aquatics webpage that offers a complete list of information and additional links to all information regarding aquatic programs at city pools. For more information, please contact Aquatics via email.
  • Can I make a park reservation online?

    You may do so by visiting the Park Reservations page.
  • Where can I find listings and information regarding your classes and activities?

    Users can now access a complete class directory online by visiting the Register for Programs webpage and view the class directory.  Participants can also visit their recreation facility of choice to receive a printed hard copy for that specific facility.  Please click Recreation Facilities for a complete list of recreation centers. 
  • Where can I find information about buying a commemorative brick for the walk of honor at Veterans Park?

    Visit the Recreation Facilities page and click on Veterans Park Center Commemorative Brick link for further details and inscription form. You can also call (619) 691-5260 for further information. 
  • Do you offer refunds or transfers for recreation classes?

    Refunds are not issued unless classes are canceled. Refunds will be processed and mailed approximately 4-8 weeks after classes begin. The online registration processing fee is non-refundable.
  • I'd like to reserve a gazebo or picnic area in a park, who can I call?

    All Park Reservations can now be done online by visiting Park Reservations. Learn more about City Parks.
  • I need to reserve a field, who can I call?

    To reserve a field, please click on Recreation then click on Rent a Field or call  staff at (619) 691-5266.
  • How can I get a job with the Recreation Department?

    All recreation job information can be found on Jobs and Volunteer Opportunities or by visiting the Human Resources page.  The Department utilizes a variety of part-time positions for our facilities, in addition to volunteers and interns.  The Department also utilizes a variety of Contractual Instructors to teach recreational classes.  For information on becoming a Contractual Instructor, please click on Recreation Department page. 
  • Where can I find maps of City Parks?

    We now have an interactive map of our City parks, with the addresses and links to PDF versions of maps. To learn more, please visit the Parks page.
  • Do you offer free recreation programs?

    We offer free or very low cost afterschool programs and many of our Special Events are free or very low cost.
  • Where can I dispose of a Christmas tree?

    Each year, Chula Vista residents can recycle their Christmas trees by placing them out at the curb with their regular trash for pick-up between December 26 and January 5. The trees must not exceed 48-inches in length. Longer trees must be cut to this size. Metal tree stands must be removed. Wooden stands are acceptable. Flocked trees will be picked-up as regular trash. City residents living in apartments should contact their apartment manager for information regarding FREE Christmas Tree Pick-Up. Trees will be collected one day a week at each apartment complex when scheduled through Republic Services.
  • Where do I dispose of an out of compliance LPG cylinder?

    The cylinder must be purged and empty before it can be recycled. City residents can contact Pacific Waste Services at 619-421-9400 and schedule a ‘Bulky Item Pick-Up’. This phone call must be placed two days prior to the resident’s regular trash service day for pick-up that week.
  • Who do I contact to report a need for weed abatement?

    Contact the Fire Prevention Division at (619) 691-5029. Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Friday 8:00a.m.-12:00 p.m.
  • Where can I get a CPR class?

    Check the available CPR information here.
  • Do you service fire extinguishers?

    No. Several businesses that sell and service fire extinguishers are listed in the yellow pages of the telephone book.
  • What size fire extinguisher do I need for my home or business?

    The minimum size fire extinguisher for a business or multi-family residence is 2A-10BC for every 6000 square feet of area, and not to exceed 75 feet of travel distance to access the extinguisher. Single-family residences should consider the area they wish to protect and be guided by the vendor’s recommendation.
  • Where do I dispose of a fire extinguisher?

    Fire extinguishers may be disposed of if they have been depressurized. The extinguisher is then considered ‘metallic waste’. City residents can dispose of these items by contacting Pacific Waste Services at 619-421-9400, and schedule a ‘Bulky Item Pick-Up’. This request must be made two days before their regular trash service day.
  • How can I get a fire inspection for my business?

    Contact the Fire Prevention Division  at (619) 691-5029.
  • Where can I learn more about microchips?

    Please visit our Pet Ownership Assistance page for more information.
  • What should I do if I find a stray dog?

    The City of Chula Vista's Municipal Code states the following:

    6.24.190. Harboring of Strays

    No person shall harbor or keep any lost or stray dog for a longer period than 24 hours. Any person finding a lost or stray dog shall forthwith notify the animal shelter and turn it over to them. (Ord. 3226 § 1, 2012; Ord. 1706 § 2, 1976. Formerly 6.24.140).

    Pet owners will look for their lost animals at their local animal shelter.

  • Does the Animal Care Facility adopt out pets?

    Yes! The Animal Care Facility has many great pets available for adoption. You can view them online at or come visit us!

  • Where can I purchase a dog license?

    Dog licenses may be purchased online or at our facility anytime during business hours. Click here for Location/Hours/Contact Information.

  • When should I get my dog licensed?

    All dogs over the age of four months residing in Chula Vista must be licensed. They should be licensed within 30 days after being brought within the City or upon reaching the age of four months. Renewals may be purchased in 1 and 3-year increments. Either use the online system or complete and mail/return a license renewal form– Thank you!

    For more detailed information look at section 6.20.020 of the Chula Vista Municipal Code.

  • How often do I have to renew my business license?

    Business licenses expire on December 31st every year and must be renewed annually.  You are responsible for renewing your license before it expires, but the City will send you a courtesy reminder notice in November each year.
  • Do I need a business license?

    All persons transacting, engaging in, or carrying on any business within Chula Vista must get a business license.  Learn more
  • Can I pay by phone?

    The City does not accept credit card payments over the phone.  If you would like to pay by credit card, please visit us during regular counter hours.  You may also be able to pay your bill online.
  • What if I need to make a payment outside regular counter hours?

    Please use the Finance Department's drop box for after hours payments.  The drop box is located adjacent to the Finance DepartmentDO NOT deposit cash in the drop box.
  • What forms of payment does the City accept?

    We accept cash, check, money order ,Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover, and debit cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo for in person payments.


  • How do I get a business license?

    If it's your first time to apply, call (619) 585-5624, email us at, or visit the Finance Department at 276 Fourth Avenue, Building A. 

    We accept new business license applications Monday through Thursday, 9 am to 3:30 pm and Friday, 9 am to 11:30 am.
  • Where can I find information regarding bus and trolley routes/fares in Chula Vista?

    For more information, please visit
  • What is Police Regulated Business?

    Businesses that are required by the Chula Vista Municipal Code or State Law to be investigated and reviewed prior to approval of license, due to the possibility of illegal activity.

    Businesses that fall under this category include: second hand dealers, pawn shops, dance halls, gambling, bingo, card rooms, massage parlors,massage technicians, door to door solicitors, live entertainment, taxi cabs, non-profit organizations, holistic health practitioners, tattoo/piercing parlors.

  • Who do I call with any questions regarding non Police-regulated businesses?

    Please contact the Finance Department at (619) 585-5624 or via email at
  • Where is the District Attorney's Office in Chula Vista?

    500 Third Avenue in Chula Vista

    Phone: (619) 691-4695.

  • I don't agree with my parking ticket and want to appear in court.

    There is a process to request dismissal of a parking ticket that begins by completing a Request for Dismissal form at the Police Department. The process takes approximately 4 to 5 weeks. The Finance Department will notify the requester regarding the final status of the dismissal request.
  • Do I need a license or permit to conduct a garage sale?

    Call the Planning & Building section of Development Services at (619) 691-5272.
  • Where is the right-of-way at my address/for my street/alley?

    Please contact Engineering Permits at (619) 691-5024.
  • Where is the sewer line for my property?

    Please contact Engineering Permits at (619) 691-5024.
  • What are my sewer rates and how are they calculated?

    Visit the Sewer Rates page for more information.
  • Who do I call for sewer issues?

    Please contact the Public Works Department at (619) 397-6000.
  • What publications does the City use to advertise bid opportunities?

    The City of Chula Vista advertises bid opportunities through the Chula Vista Star News, San Diego Daily Transcript and other various trade papers for construction within San Diego County.
  • I have questions regarding the SR-125 toll road. Who should I contact?

    Please contact South Bay Expressway at (619) 661-7070 or email them at
  • Can I attend a Safety Commission meeting?

    Yes. The meetings are held the first Wednesday of each month in the Council Chambers at 276 Fourth Avenue, Chula Vista, CA 91910.

    To learn more, please visit our Safety Commission page.

  • Who do I call for traffic signal timing issues?

    Please visit the Service Requests page to report this and much more.
  • Who do I call to trim trees away from traffic signs and/or from obstructing line of sight?

    Please visit the Service Requests page to report this and much more.
  • Who can answer my questions regarding traffic safety?

    Please contact Traffic Engineering at (619) 691-5026. You may also visit the Traffic Safety page.
  • Who do I call to obtain speed limit surveys?

    Please contact Traffic Engineering at (619) 691-5026.
  • How do I obtain a traffic accident police report?

    Request a copy of a police report from the City of Chula Vista Police Department.
  • I was involved in a traffic accident, how do I obtain information for traffic signals and timings?

    Please contact Traffic Engineering at (619) 691-5026.
  • What do I do if a vehicle is blocking my driveway?

    Contact the City of Chula Vista Police Department using their non-emergency number at (619) 691-5151.
  • How do I request a speed bump?

    Please view the City's speed bump policy.
  • What are Engineering's business hours and contact information?

    The Engineering Division of the Public Works Department is located at 276 Fourth Avenue, Building B. You can also reach us at (619) 691-5021.

    The regular business hours are:

    • 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. | Monday - Thursday
    • 9:00 a.m. - Noon | Fridays
  • How do I apply for a position?

    You may apply for an open position over the internet using our online system. To register to use the online system, click here.

    A City Employment Application form is required for all open positions. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed City Application. The City does not accept applications and resumes for positions that are not currently open, however you may attach your resume electronically to your application.

  • How do I know what jobs are available?

    The City of Chula Vista lists all open positions on the Human Resources website  and on the job hotline, (619) 691-5095. Depending upon the position, the City may advertise on various websites.
  • How can I find out the status of my application?

    If you have created an Employment Profile through Neogov, you can check your status at anytime. Remember it generally takes up to 30 days or more to review all submitted applications. All applicants will receive an e-mail stating the results of either the initial screening or any of the testing processes used.

  • How long does the application process take?

    All job announcements state what the filing deadline is. Please be aware that applications will not be accepted after the deadline time specified on the closing date.

    Applications and, if applicable, supplemental applications are reviewed and based upon the content of the applications materials, the most highly qualified candidates are selected to continue in the testing process. The entire process, from the opening of the recruitment to the final selection of a candidate, can take up to six months.

  • Where do I get my fingerprints (Live Scan) done?

    Fingerprinting (Live Scan) is available by appointment only at the Chula Vista Police Department located at 315 Fourth Ave., Chula Vista, CA 91911.

    To make an appointment for Live Scan fingerprinting you may call (619) 409-5954 or Schedule Online.

    The cost varies, depending upon need. The fee is $18.00 per set of prints plus any costs associated with submission of the fingerprints to the State of California.

    For City of Chula Vista volunteers and prospective employees, an appointment and Live Scan form will be provided to you by your Live Scan coordinator at the City of Chula Vista.

  • What benefits does the City of Chula Vista offer?

    The City provides a choice of health care and dental plans, flexible spending accounts, short-term and long-term disability insurance, life insurance and a choice of 457 deferred compensation plans. The City contracts with the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS) for the provisions of its retirement benefits. New employees go through a comprehensive benefit orientation the first week they begin work. During the orientation, employees are informed in great detail about their new benefits.  Please click here for more information on benefits offered to benefited full-time and part-time employees.

  • What testing processes do you use?

    Prior to a position being open to receive applications, the testing process is determined. This process may include one or all of the following: supplemental application, written test, performance test, physical agility test, performance agility test, and/or interview panel.  The City of Chula Vista's Human Resources Department uses electronic mail (e-mail) to notify applicants of important information relating to the status and processing of their applications.

  • Do new employees have a probationary period?

    New employees, with the exception of sworn Police and Fire safety personnel, serve a probationary period of 12 months. Sworn Police and Fire safety personnel serve a probationary period of 18 months.

  • How do I go about having a stop sign or stop light installed?

    Contact Engineering at (619) 691-5021.
  • How do I request an all-way stop sign?

    Write a letter requesting an all-way stop sign at a specific location and the reasons why the request is being made. Address the letter to: 

    Traffic Engineering
    276 Fourth Avenue
    Chula Vista, CA 91910.

  • Where can I find information about the Adopt-A-Park Program?

    Please visit the Adopt-A-Park Program page.
  • How can I find out about road closures and locations where road work is taking place in the City?

    You can find this and more information by signing up with Nixle, our subscription-based e-notification service. Information will also be regularly updated to our Road Closures page.
  • Where can I obtain sandbags?

    Chula Vista residents can receive up to ten sandbags (per address) by simply going to the Public Works Center with valid proof of residency. The full sandbags can be obtained at 1800 Maxwell Road. We are open Monday - Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Fridays, 6:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Closed every other Friday.

    To pick up the sandbags, take the second driveway at 1800 Maxwell Road, and follow the sandbag signs around the complex.
  • How do I reserve the Mountain Hawk Amphitheater?

    The Amphitheater is used by the public on a first-come, first-served basis and cannot be reserved at this time. However, for special events please contact the Office of Communications.
  • Who do I call about getting a tree trimmed/cut down?

    Requests for non-safety related tree trimming will be filled in the order received and may be addressed in the future. Please visit the Service Requests page to report such issues. You may also call (619) 397-6000 to report these issues.
  • How can I find lot dimensions?

    Please contact Engineering Permits at (619) 691-5024.
  • How can I locate my property line?

    Please contact Engineering Permits at (619) 691-5024
  • Where can I find a list of City parks?

    Please visit the Parks homepage for more information, including a list of all City Parks and their locations.
  • What is a sewer lateral cleanout?

    Sewer lateral access connection for maintenance purposes. Learn more about the City's Sewer Lateral Policy. For more information, please call (619) 397-6000.
  • How do I report a streetlight out/traffic signal malfunctioning?

    You may do so by visiting the Service Requests page, and submit a work request online. You will be provided with a confirmation email with a tracking number. You may also call the Public Works Department at (619) 397-6000.
  • There’s a utility company working my area. How do I go about obtaining their contact information?

    We have various informative links on the Residents page of our City Website. On this page, there is a section for Utilities under which contact information is listed.
  • What kind of graffiti will the City clean up?

    The City of Chula Vista is responsible to remove graffiti from the public infrastructure only. Graffiti removal from private commercial and residential properties is the responsibility of the property owner. For more information, please call (619) 397-6000. You may also submit reports of graffiti online here.
  • How do I make a public records act request?

    Many documents are immediately available through the Public Records page.  You may also complete a Public Records Request, call the City Clerk's office at 619-691-5041, or visit the City Clerk's office during normal business hours.
  • Who do I call about faded street lines/walkways?

    You may now submit requests by visiting the Service Requests page.
  • How do I find out who owns a certain piece of property?

    Call the County Assessor/Recorder/County Clerk at (619) 236-3771 or visit their website.
  • What are the daily business operating hours for the Public Works Department?

    The Public Works Department is open Monday through Thursday, from 6:30 am to 4:00 pm. We are closed every other Friday, and on the Fridays we are open, our hours are 6:30 a.m. through 3:00 p.m.
  • How do I get a copy of a Birth Certificate, Death Certificate, or Marriage License?

    Call the County Assessor/Recorder/County Clerk at (619) 236-3771 or visit their website.
  • Who do I call to report a sidewalk in need of repair?

    You may now report sidewalk repair at our Service Requests page. However, the option of submitting your request over the phone is still available by calling the Public Works Department at (619) 397-6000.
  • How do I report a pothole?

    You may now report potholes online at our online Service Requests page. Potholes can also still be reported by calling (619) 460-BUMP or (619) 460-2867.
  • How can I find a business in Chula Vista?

    Call the Chula Vista Chamber of Commerce at (619) 420-6603. Their office is located at 233 Fourth Avenue in Chula Vista.

  • How do I report an illegal discharge into storm drains?

    To report an illegal discharge, dumping, or spills into storm drains, please contact the Public Works Department at (619) 397-6000.
  • What are the different colored markings that I see on the streets?

    These markings identify the location of underground utilities, such as gas, water, electric, cable and phone.
  • Who do I call about a small claims case in Chula Vista?

    Please call the South Bay Superior Court at (619) 746-6200.
  • How do I contact the South Bay Superior Court?

    Call the South Bay Superior Court at:

    Criminal/Traffic/Minor Offense Filing/Records: (619) 746-6200
    Restraining Orders: (619) 746-6200
    Family Court Services: (619) 746-6097
    Family Law Facilitator (Recorded Information): (619) 450-5200
    Family Law Filing/Records: (619) 746-6200
    Juvenile Dependency: (619) 746-6200
  • Who is the responsible party if sewage backs up and damages my property?

    If the damage is a result of a sewer main backup, the city will provide a cleaning company, and you can submit a damage report to Risk Management.
  • What if sewage is backing up in my house?

    If you are not using your service and you have sewage backing up in your home during business hours, please call the Public Works Department at (619) 397-6000. Otherwise, call the Police Department at (619) 691-5150.
  • Who do I talk to about filing for divorce, a name change or a restraining order?

    Call the South Bay Superior Court, for the following information:

    Criminal/Traffic/Minor Offense Filing/Records: (619) 746-6200
    Restraining Orders: (619) 746-6200
    Family Court Services: (619) 746-6097
    Family Law Facilitator (Recorded Information): (619) 450-5200
    Family Law Filing/Records: (619) 746-6200
    Juvenile Dependency: (619) 746-6200


  • What is the City’s responsibility regarding my private sewer lateral?

    Please visit the Sewer Lateral Policy page for more information.
  • Who do I contact about Traffic Court?

    Call the San Diego Superior Court at (619) 746-6200.

  • How do I contact the Department of Motor Vehicles?

    Call (800) 777-0133.
  • How often are the sewer main lines cleaned?

    The sewer main lines are generally cleaned on a yearly basis.
  • How do I contact the Olympic Training Center?

    The Olympic Training Center can be reached at (619) 656-1500.
  • What is a sewer lateral?

    A sewer lateral sewer line is a privately-owned pipeline connecting a property to the publicly-owned main sewer line. For more information, please visit the Sewer Lateral page.
  • How do I get an application for absentee ballot?

    Call the County Registrar of Voters at (858) 565-5800.
  • Who do I contact to report a damaged/missing street sign?

    You may now report damaged or missing street signs at the Service Requests page, or by calling (619) 397-6000.
  • Where can I register to vote?

    The City Clerk's Office at 276 Fourth Avenue in Chula Vista, or the Registrar of Voters at 5600 Overland Ave.
  • Who do I call to report graffiti?

    You may do so by calling the Graffiti Hotline at (619) 691-5198. Requests for graffiti removal may now also be submitted online using our Service Requests page. If you have any further questions, please contact the Public Works Department at (619) 397-6000. To learn more about our graffiti program, please visit the Graffiti page.
  • How do I address the City Council at a meeting?

    If you wish to address the Council at a meeting, complete a "Request to Speak" form and submit it to the City Clerk prior to the meeting. Request to Speak forms are available in the lobby outside of Council Chambers or at the City Clerk's seat. The Mayor will call speakers to the podium at the appropriate time. 

    Generally, speakers are allotted 5 minutes for items appearing on the agenda and 3 minutes for items not on the agenda (under the Public Comments section of the agenda for all Regular Council meetings). Procedures and allotted speaking time is subject to change in accordance with the law.  Please speak with the City Clerk prior to the meeting if you have any questions.

  • I have heard about a mobilehome ombudsman, what is that?

    The State of California has the Office of Mobile home Ombudsman.  The handle matters involving living in a mobile ranging from registration to health and safety.   There website is as follows:

  • When and where are the City Council Meetings?

    City Council Meetings are held in Council Chambers at 276 Fourth Avenue, unless otherwise noted on the agenda. Visit the calendar of upcoming Council meetings for agendas, and meeting times and locations. City Council meetings can be viewed live on television on Cox Cable 24 or AT&T Uverse 99 (only in the City of Chula Vista) or via live streaming on your computer, tablet or smart phone.
  • Does the City have rent control for mobilehomes?

    Yes, the City does have rent control for mobilehome space rent pursuant to CVMC Chapter 9.50.
  • How do I see a section of the Municipal Code for Chula Vista?

  • Does the City have an Ethics Code? How do I report an ethics violation?

    The City's ethic's code is found in Chapter 2.28 of the Chula Vista Municipal Code.  An ethics complaint may be filed by completing a complaint form found
  • How do I get a copy of a resolution, ordinance or minutes from a City Council Meeting?

  • How do I get information about a current or previous Municipal Election?

    Please visit the Elections page.

  • How do I report elder abuse? How do I report Child Abuse?

    If the situation, in either elder abuse or child abuse, is life threatening or in progress, you should call 911. You may also report elder abuse to Adult Protective Services at 1-800-510-2012. You may also report child abuse to Child Welfare Services at 1-800-344-6000.
  • How do I get a copy of other documents that were approved by the City Council?

    Many documents are immediately available through the Public Records page or you may complete a Public Records Request or call the City Clerk's office at 619-691-5041.

  • How do I obtain Jury Duty information?

    Please visit the San Diego Superior Court's website for more information.

  • What is the difference between the City Attorney’s Office and the District Attorney’s Office?

    The District Attorney’s Office handles criminal matters (misdemeanors and felonies) under the state Penal Code. The City Attorney’s Office, while it may prosecute specified misdemeanors, generally handles civil matters involving the City of Chula Vista Municipal Code. 
  • What does it mean that the City of Chula Vista is a charter city?

    There are two legal types of cities in California—a general law city and a charter city.   For a general law city, it must follow specified laws set forth in the California Government Code for its conduct.  The State establishes those specified rules found in the Government Code.   A charter city, on the other hand, is authorized, under the California Constitution, to create its own specified laws that govern its conduct in certain areas of law considered to be “municipal affairs”.  Those rules are set forth in the city’s charter.  Municipal affairs include local government, structure, elections, rules for public land use, and contracting. The charter is established by a vote of the city’s residents.  
    A copy of Chula Vista’s Charter is available here.
  • How do I get a copy of the Chula Vista Municipal Code?

    The Chula Vista Municipal Code is available on line at   You may also contact the City Clerk’s Office. 
  • Can the City Attorney’s Office provide legal advice to private citizens?

    The City Attorney’s Office cannot provide legal advice to private citizens. However, the San Diego County Bar offers a free referral service and can be contacted at 1-800-464-1529 or
  • How do I apply to be on a City board or commission?

    See the City Clerk's web page
  • I lost my dog or cat, what should I do?

    Please visit our Lost & Found page.
  • Can you have separate cannabis premises on the same parcel?

    Possibly, but this must be determined on a case-by-case basis.
  • Are buses still running?

    Yes, MTS bus service is still active if you need to go to essential locations such as work, the doctor, bank, grocery store, gas station, or pharmacy.

  • Are City staff available if I have questions on permits, code enforcement or other matters?

    Most City staff are working from home, and replying to emails. For general information, you can direct your questions to 
    For specific departments, please email the following:

  • Are parking meters being enforced on Third Avenue downtown Chula Vista?

    No, through at least May 31 parking meters downtown are free to encourage you to shop local for take out and delivery options.

  • Are you intending on releasing a form for the notarized labor peace agreement statement or should applicants create their own labor peace agreement statements for notarization?

    Applicants should prepare their own statement or agreement in accordance with CVMC 5.19.050(A)(l), taking into account the definition of "Labor Peace Agreement" as specified in CVMC 5.19.020.
  • Can I get tested for COVID-19?

    Please call your doctor if you are showing symptoms (fever, sore throat, coughing, difficulty breathing) and he/she will determine if you need the test. A site to test for COVID-19 infection is open at the former Sears building, 555 Broadway. Open Mon-Fri, 7 am-7 pm; appointments are required. Testing is free; you do not need to have symptoms. Appointments online or call 888-634-1123

  • Can I go to the DMV?

    Most DMV field offices are temporarily closed to the public statewide. However, the DMV continues to provide essential services to Californians by mail, through available online services, kiosks, virtually and other means to continue processing critical transactions during the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit for more details.

  • Can I go to the grocery store?

    Yes, grocery stores are open. Some have adjusted hours to accommodate seniors-only shopping. Please visit individual store websites for details. Face coverings are required.

  • Can I go to the post office?

    Yes, the post office is open regular hours and postal delivery is still happening as usual. Face coverings are required.

  • Can I take my dog to the dog park?

    All City parks, including dog parks, are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Please bring and wear a face covering when within six feet of others. 

  • Can you clarify what is being considered in Phase One before an applicant is moved on to Phase Two?

    Please see Chula Vista Municipal Code section 5.19.050, City License Application Process, and accompanying regulations for additional information on application assessment.
  • Can you have separate cannabis premises on the same parcel?

    Possibly, but this must be determined on a case-by-case basis.
  • Can you have the same premise with two separate businesses?

    Assuming that this question refers to cannabis businesses, no. Please refer to the definition of premise' and the limitations outlined in CVMC chapter 5.19. If the question refers to a non-cannabis and cannabis business located on the same premises, it depends; such situation would need to be evaluated on an individualized basis.
  • Can you have the same premise with two separate businesses?

    Assuming that this question refers to cannabis businesses, no. Please refer to the definition of premise and the limitations outlined in CVMC chapter 5.19. If the question refers to a non-cannabis and cannabis business located on the same premises, it depends; such situation would need to be evaluated on an individualized basis.
  • Could a non-profit run a cannabis-based business?

    Yes. See applicable California state law requirements.
  • Currently, drivers that are delivering cannabis in Chula Vista from legal dispensaries elsewhere are allowed. Will we be required to have full backgrounds if the tax measure passes right away?

    Delivery employees lawfully conducting deliveries for licensed cannabis businesses located outside the City will not be required to obtain or carry an identification badge issued by the Police Chief until six months after City'۪s initial application period. See Cannabis Regulations section 1600(D).
  • Do engineers need to be licensed in California?

    Yes, the engineer must be a CA Registered/Licensed engineer.
  • Do we need to complete a separate application for each business we want to operate?

  • Do you anticipate that the highest scores will be awarded to companies that submit a business plan that follows the SBDC template? Or is this template included as just one example of a professional business plan?

    The SBDC template is one example of a business plan, and is not required.
  • Do you need a security plan to complete phase one?

    Security plans must be submitted with the phase two application. See CVMC 5.19.050(B)(1)(f).
  • Does City consider the Public Records Act acknowledgment to extend to proprietary and sensitive information (i.e., detailed financial projections, payroll records with employee info, and evidence of financial net worth with confidential financial information?

    City will release information as required by California law.
  • Does the City prefer armed or unarmed security personnel?

    CVMC 5.19.160(A)(8) requires state-licensed security personnel. Armed vs. unarmed security is a business decision that should be made by business owners after taking into account all security needs of the business.
  • Does the property section require complete site plans? The reason I ask that is after listening to an audio tape on your site, someone said if your package is approved but the site does not work you will be given some time to find another. Can you please explain?

    In the event that a selected, qualified retail applicant's proposed premises is no longer available, the applicant will be offered the opportunity to select another site in the same district with certain restrictions. See Cannabis Regulations section 0502(N)(2)(a)(i).
  • How am I going to know when/if you make changes to the ordinance/regulations?

    Go to and you will find a place to enter your name and email address to receive cannabis-related updates. You can find links to the current set of cannabis regulations and Chula Vista Municipal Code chapter 5.19 online. Applicants and licensees are expected to comply with all effective laws and regulations.
  • How am I supposed to know if the owner of a property has had a felony conviction that would prevent me from operating at that location?

    The City encourages all applicants to use due diligence in selecting a location.
  • How are you handling minor crimes that have been expunged or sealed?

    The Police Chief expects to evaluate any expungement on a case-by-case basis.
  • How many cultivation licenses will the City allow?

    CVMC 5.19.040 authorizes up to 10 cultivation licenses.
  • I had a reservation for a park gazebo and now the park is closed, will I get a refund?

    Yes, refunds will occur automatically but it may take up to eight weeks due to the high demand

  • I have a leaking toilet, can I call a plumber?

    Yes, plumbers or electricians can still make house calls for emergency services. Gardeners and pest control personnel can still visit your home as well.

  • I have an overdue book at the Chula Vista library, will I incur a fine?

    No, fines are being waived while the libraries are closed.

  • If I am submitting multiple license applications with the same Owner, Manager, or Officer, do the Owner, Officers, and Managers need to submit a separate Live Scan form with each application?

    As long as the LiveScan form lists the Submission ID numbers for all applications with which the individual is associated, you may submit a single LIVE SCAN for an individual associated with multiple applications.  For example, if John Doe is associated with Submission ID Nos. 12345, 12347, and 22578, John Doe may complete one LiveScan form that includes “Submission ID #s 12345, 12347, and 22578” at the “Your Number” prompt on the LiveScan form.

  • If I purchase the property from an owner who has operated outside of the law can I move forward with my application for that property under my ownership?

    It depends. CVMC chapter 5.19 contains language disqualifying persons who have previously facilitated or been involved with illegal cannabis activity or who have certain criminal convictions. If such persons remain associated with your proposed cannabis business or premises, such association may affect your ability to qualify for a license.
  • If the premises owner is an entity, who will be background checked?

    Per 5.19.050(B)(1)(d), if an owner of a proposed premises is an entity, the Police Chief may require individual employees, officers, members, or others of the entity to submit fingerprints and/or other information for a background check. For example, if the proposed premises owner is a large, out-of-state corporation, a local representative may be required to submit fingerprints and/or other information; however, determinations will be made on a case-by-case basis.
  • If you cannot disallow "address use" fees by premise landowners/landlords OR allow for only one applicant per address, can you require disclosure from all applicants?

    The City may, in its discretion, request information relevant to site control.
  • In reading the Cannabis Regulations, 0502 E.2., I am unclear as to what is meant by "Security Exclusion" policy. What does "security exclusion" mean?

    The Exclusionary Policy refers to how that business will manage individuals who have been banned from a premises. The term is commonly used in police regulated businesses such as alcohol and gaming establishments. The exclusionary policy should address, for example: the type of issues may cause a person to be banned, such as gross intoxication, fighting, inappropriate behavior, passing forged monetary instruments, etc.; how a business will document that a person has been excluded so all employees will be aware; the length of time a person will be excluded; and what employees should do if a banned subject returns to the premises.
  • In reviewing both Ordinance 3418 and the Draft Ordinance I noticed that there are some discrepancies between the documents. Can you tell me which would be the reliable ordinance to begin building our Phase One applications from?

    The documents cited are actually two separate items. Ordinance 3418, the Commercial Cannabis Ordinance, was approved by City Council in March of this year and created the initial set of local cannabis laws, which are codified in Chula Vista Municipal Code chapter 5.19. The link referenced connects to a draft version of the regulations, which are promulgated by the City Manager. The regulations accompany the ordinances and provide additional information (in other words, they expand upon the ordinance provisions). All applicants/licensees will be required to comply with all ordinances and accompanying regulations.
  • Is it possible to apply with multiple cannabis locations in mind or is the City only allowing one location per application?

    Applicants should submit only one location per license application.
  • Is the bank open?

    Yes, banks are open but may have adjusted their hours. Please call or check their website for hours of operation. Face coverings are required.

  • Is the initial application process for retail/delivery only? Or is it also open for cultivation, manufacturing, distribution, and testing licenses?

    The initial application period is for all license types.
  • My child is registered for a Parks and Recreation class that is now cancelled, will I get a refund?

    Yes, cancelled class registrations will be refunded but please be advised it may take up to eight weeks.

  • On the draft application for number 28, will an application score more points if more boxes are checked for indication of cannabis, alcohol or pharmaceutical experience, or will full points be awarded by checking just one box in each section (28a and 28c)?

    It depends. Determinations regarding qualifications will be made on a case-by-case basis, taking into account all aspects of qualification information submitted.
  • On the Police Controlled License Application, what is the question “Have you ever applied for and/or been issued a police controlled license of any time prior to this application?” asking for?

    The question is asking if you have ever been issued a license that has required some type of police or law enforcement oversight/control. For example, a license to sell alcoholic beverages or tobacco would be an example of a police controlled license, as would a license to conduct commercial cannabis operations. If you have applied for or hold any of those types of licenses, you should answer in the affirmative and list the required info.
  • ow should you answer the question regarding the name of the business if you have not established a company yet?

    Applicants may provide an individual's name if no business name is associated with the application.
  • Posting at proposed premises. This appears to allow several storefront retailers to apply using the same address/landlord. Was this the original intent of the ordinance, and does it allow for landlords to charge fees for allowing multiple applicants to use their address for application purposes?

    The provisions are intended to permit more than one applicant to list the same proposed site in the phase one application process; however, only one license will ultimately be issued per site. In regard to any fees charged by landlords, the City does not regulate real estate transactions between private entities.
  • Question 24 of the draft application state " Premises Ownership %" Please clarify - are you referring to the ownership percentage the premise owner has in the property or in the cannabis business to be located on the property?

    Draft application question 24 refers to the percentage of ownership in the Premises. If the premises owner also has an ownership interest in the business, such interest should be disclosed in the business ownership section of the application.
  • The initial application period of five days is short. Perhaps clarifying it with '''business days'۝ and extending might be appropriate.

    The current regulations specify that the Initial Application Period for retail and cultivation licenses will run for five (5) consecutive business days' and that the City Manager has discretion to further extend such application period.
  • Under the Police Controlled License Application, section VI, it requests information about incorporated entities. Do LLCs also have to submit their information in that section?

    No, so long as the LLC information is provided in the cannabis license application submitted.
  • What are the allowable Hours of Operation for the different business types?

    Please see applicable state regulations.
  • What is required to satisfy the "Premises Owners Information" document? Also, is the property owner required to complete a Live Scan and/or background check, and if only required in certain instances, in what case(s) would the property owner be required to complete those?

    Please see CVMC 5.19.050(B)(1)(d) and Cannabis Regulations section 0502(C) regarding premises owner information requirements.
  • What limitations will be enacted on advertising (billboards, sign twirlers, building and window signage, etc.)?

    Please see CVMC 5.19.270 and applicable state regulations.
  • What restaurants are open for take out or delivery?

    It is best to call to see if your favorite restaurant is open for take out or delivery. 

  • What time will you close your application acceptance - at the close of business on the 18th of January or at midnight on the 18th of January?

    The Initial Application Period will commence at 8:00 am PST on Monday, January 14 and end at 5:00 pm PST on Friday, January 18 for limited license types (storefront retail, non-storefront retail, and cultivation). The Initial Application Period for non-limited license types (distribution, manufacturing, and testing laboratory) will commence at 8:00 am PST on Monday, January 14 and end at 5:00 pm PST on Friday, January 25.
  • When can applicants apply for State license?

    Currently, when an applicant applies for a State license for a business located in Chula Vista, the State contacts the City to determine whether the applicant is permitted in our jurisdiction before processing the State license. At this time, the City anticipates that it will only affirm that an applicant is scheduled to be permitted in our jurisdiction once the applicant has received Conditional Approval of their application pursuant to CVMC 5.19.050(B)(7).
  • When filling out the cannabis license Live Scan form, should I check DOJ, FBI, or both?

    Please check the DOJ box on the cannabis license Live Scan form.
  • When will your applications be online?

    The application will be available online during the Initial Application Period, which begins January 14, 2019 at 8:00am.
  • Who is going to be evaluating applications?

    There are several phases to the application process that include review by Finance, Police, Development Services, Fire Prevention, Code Enforcement, City Manager and outside consultants.
  • Why is sediment considered a pollutant?

    Dirt and sediment are considered pollutants because excessive amounts may cause damage to our delicate aquatic ecosystem. Significant dirt and sediment will smother and suffocate aquatic plant and animal life, and destroy important habitat. Dirt and sediment also carry other pollutants to our sensitive waterways.
  • Will armed security guards be required 24 hours or only during business hours? Will this apply to all business types?

    Please see CVMC 5.19.160(A)(8).
  • Will candidates have the opportunity to present their applications in person to staff?

    The City anticipates that finalists will be invited to an interview process.
  • Will electronic signatures (i.e. DocuSign) be accepted on the non-notarized application documents?

    The use of electronic signatures on Cannabis-related forms using DocuSign is approved except in the following cases: documents or transactions that require a signature to be notarized for acknowledged; and documents or transactions that require a handwritten signature, including but not limited to transfers of interests in real property. In the event that DocuSign is used, a Certificate of Completion must accompany the document submitted.
  • Will my trash be picked up?

    Yes, trash, recycling and yard waste pick-up from Republic Service will remain on its regular schedule.

  • Will notarized documents from outside of California be accepted?

  • Will the Live Scans need to be submitted prior to or at the same time as the license application? Where can I complete my Live Scan?

    Owners, managers, and officers associated with an application will be required to complete their Live Scans within 30 days of submitting the application. Once the cannabis business license application is submitted, an application submission number will be provided to the applicant. Each owner, manager, and officer must include their application submission number on the approved Chula Vista Cannabis Business License Live Scan form (at the Your Number' prompt) when they request their Live Scan service. Live Scan may be completed at any authorized California Live Scan provider. Inquiries regarding out-of-state fingerprinting should be directed to the Chula Vista Police Department Special Investigations Unit at (619) 409-5059.
  • Will you be giving extra points or preference on applications for those citizens/residents who qualify as a minority?

    No. The laws and regulations were adopted following extensive discussion and consideration. At this time, City does not anticipate further substantive changes to its program.
  • With the government shut down, FEIN applications are not being processed. How shall we handle this situation in the online application form?

    Applicants who do not have a FEIN can submit an individual social security number. Applicants may be required to provide a FEIN at a later date, if available.
  • Would a property zoned PC4PA be viable for a cannabis retail business under the ordinance?

    This zone is from the East Lake II Planned Community (PC) District Regulations for the following SPA Plans: East Lake I (including: East Lake Hills, East Lake Shores, Business Center I, & Village Center North Supplemental SPA Plan) and East Lake Business Center II SPA Plan. The PA district does not permit retail sales.
View Full Site