Important Updates:

COVID-19/Coronavirus - The City of Chula Vista is suspending operations except for critical public safety operations. For other exceptions and additional information visit our Coronavirus page here.




Business License Application

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The following information is needed to complete an application:bl_app

  • Business Location
  • Type of Business
  • Number of Employees
  • Home Address of Business Owner
  • Phone Number of Business Owner
  • Taxpayer ID Number OR Owner's Social Security Number
  • Seller's Permit from State Board of Equalization
  • State License Number (contractor, physician, etc)

Note: Vending and amusement machines require a separate permit for each machine in addition to the primary business license. 

All business license taxes must be paid at the time the application is submitted.

Additional Departmental Reviews and Approvals


Your business may also be subject to a Police Controlled License.  Additional information can be accessed here.

Storm Water Program

Storm Water Industrial  Permit (SB205) Notice

Starting January 1st, 2020, a person conducting a business operation that is subject to the State Industrial General Storm Water Permit (IGP), 2014-0057-DWQ, shall demonstrate enrollment when applying for an initial business license or business license renewal. Business operations subject to the IGP can be found here.

Enrollment under the IGP is demonstrated by providing the State Permit Number (WDID, WDID Application, NEC, or NONA).  Facilities that are subject to the requirements of the IGP file a Notice of Intent, obtain a WDID or WDID Application #, prepare a Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan, and perform monitoring during the wet season. Those who qualify for an exemption from the IGP still need to file and obtain a Storm Water Permit Number (i.e., NEC or NONA).

For more information regarding the State Industrial General Storm Water Permit (IGP), visit the California State Water Resource Control Board.

Mobile Businesses

The City requires that the following mobile businesses complete a Storm Water Questionnaire and Certification Statement:

  • Auto Repair, Detailing and Washing
  • Carpet, Drape, or Furniture Cleaning
  • Fire Equipment and Sprinkler Maintenance
  • Food Trucks
  • Landscaping
  • Pest Control Services
  • Pet Grooming
  • Portable Grooming
  • Portable Sanitary Services, including Plumbing
  • Power Washing Services
  • Pool, Spa, and Fountain Maintenance
  • Any mobile construction business (e.g. cement work, masonry, painting and coating)
  • Any mobile business that utilizes water

If you would like to license one of the above business types, please visit our Storm Water webpage or contact the Storm Water section at (619)397-6111.

Disability Access (SB1186) Notice

Under federal and state law, compliance with disability access laws is a serious and significant responsibility that applies to all California building owners and tenants with buildings open to the public. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following agencies:

View Full Site