Important Updates:

COVID-19/Coronavirus - The City of Chula Vista is here to serve you. While in-person services are limited, many services are available online. For more details, please visit our Coronavirus page here




Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


  • What if my business is moving?

    Please notify the Finance Department of your change in business location by submitting a business license application and selecting the 'Change of Address' check box at the top of the form. 

    Issuing a business license for your new location may require multiple department approvals.  Annual business license taxes paid in the current year will transfer to your new location.  However, you will be charged a one-time $12 change of location fee, and a one-time zoning fee.  Additional fees may be charged based on the characteristics of your new location.

  • How often do I have to renew my business license?

    Business licenses expire on December 31st every year and must be renewed annually.  You are responsible for renewing your license before it expires, but the City will send you a courtesy reminder notice in November each year.
  • Do I need a business license?

    All persons transacting, engaging in, or carrying on any business within Chula Vista must get a business license.  Learn more
  • Can I pay by phone?

    The City does not accept credit card payments over the phone.  If you would like to pay by credit card, please visit us during regular counter hours.  You may also be able to pay your bill online.
  • What if I need to make a payment outside regular counter hours?

    Please use the Finance Department's drop box for after hours payments.  The drop box is located adjacent to the Finance DepartmentDO NOT deposit cash in the drop box.
  • What forms of payment does the City accept?

    We accept cash, check, money order ,Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover, and debit cards with a Visa or MasterCard logo for in person payments.


  • How do I get a business license?

    If it's your first time to apply, call (619) 585-5624, email us at, or visit the Finance Department at 276 Fourth Avenue, Building A. 

    We accept new business license applications Monday through Thursday, 9 am to 3:30 pm and Friday, 9 am to 11:30 am.
  • Who do I call with any questions regarding non Police-regulated businesses?

    Please contact the Finance Department at (619) 585-5624 or via email at
  • I don't agree with my parking ticket and want to appear in court.

    There is a process to request dismissal of a parking ticket that begins by completing a Request for Dismissal form at the Police Department. The process takes approximately 4 to 5 weeks. The Finance Department will notify the requester regarding the final status of the dismissal request.
View Full Site