Why is there a lien on my property?
The City of Chula Vista records liens against properties as a preliminary action to placing delinquencies on the property tax rolls. The Finance Department records liens for delinquent sewer and trash accounts. Please contact the Development Services Department if your lien relates to a Code Enforcement violation.
How do I remove the lien from my property?
If you are currently in escrow, ask your escrow or title company officer to email a request for a Demand Letter to cvLien@chulavistaca.gov, via fax at (619) 409-3816, or submit an online lien release request . Requests via email or fax should be submitted on the letterhead of the requesting company.
The following information is required:
- Property address
- Assessor's parcel number (APN)
- Escrow demand letter
- Recorded document cover page from the County of San Diego
What is the fee for a lien/payoff request?
Fees vary by request. In general, you can expect to be assessed the following fees, at minimum:
- Lien Recording Fee: $10 per delinquent account
- Recorded Item Non-Payment Penalty: $15 per delinquent account
- Lien Payoff Demand Letter:
- Fee per letter, regular processing (14 business days): $25
- Fee per letter, expedited processing (2 business days): $50
- Lien Release Fee: $25 per release document prepared
How long will it take to receive the completed lien/payoff request?
Please allow a minimum of 14 business days for processing. The response will include all current charges due to the City of Chula Vista, including pending liens and new delinquencies. Any incomplete or omitted information will result in processing delays.
If you require expedited processing, please indicate this in your initial request and forward $50 expedited processing fee to City of Chula Vista Finance Department. Expedited releases will be processed within 2 business days. The address is 276 Fourth Avenue Chula Vista CA 91910. Processing will not be expedited without payment of the expedited processing fee.