276 Fourth Avenue, Building B
John Lippitt Public Works Center
The Engineering & Capital Projects Department provides engineering services, technical expertise and oversight for the development and operations of the City’s public infrastructure and facilities. The Department is responsible for the development of the long-range Capital Improvement Plan (CIP), the delivery of the diverse projects identified in the CIP as well as a variety of other engineering related functions. The Department strives to provide expeditious, cost-effective service while maintaining a high degree of quality optimizing mobility, public and environmental health, and safety.
The Engineering & Capital Projects Department is located in the Public Services Building B, across from the Council Chambers at 276 Fourth Avenue. The Department consists of the following programs:
- Advanced Planning
Manages asset inventories, infrastructure master plans, FEMA floodplain management services, and special studies to identify current and future deficiencies in the City’s sewer, pavement, storm drain, wastewater disposal, and street systems to ensure that the City’s infrastructure will adequately serve the community now and in the future.
- Project Delivery (Design/Survey)
Manages the delivery of Capital Improvement Projects (CIPs) through the entire life cycle to meet or exceed quality, scope, schedule, and cost commitments to ensure that the City’s infrastructure will adequately serve the community now and in the future. Also provides technical support services to various divisions and other departments.
- Traffic Engineering
Provides traffic management, operations and planning services to the traveling public so they can enjoy a safe and efficient transportation system by responding to inquiries regarding public safety and other related issues, monitoring the function and operation of the roadway system on a daily basis, initiating remedial measures for high accident locations and provide for timely transportation infrastructure.
- Advanced Transportation Technologies & Maintenance
Implements transportation related “Smart City” strategies and technologies, supports the Autonomous Vehicles Proving Grounds (AVPG) implementation in Chula Vista through coordination with SANDAG & CALTRANS and provides the focus and expertise needed to ensure proper development and deployment. Provides safe movement of all users of the City’s circulation system, including vehicle operators, bicyclists and pedestrians through maintenance of electrical traffic control devices and street lighting.
- Wastewater Engineering
Manages the City's sewer system so that Chula Vista residents receive dependable and affordable wastewater treatment and disposal services.
- Inspection Services
Provides inspection, enforcement, education, contract, and permit administration services to contractor’s, developers and City departments so they can comply with City construction standards and storm water regulations related to construction activities with goal of delivering to the public cleaner water and durable and safe public infrastructure.
- Stormwater Management
Develops and implements comprehensive programs and activities in compliance with State and Federal Clean Water Act (CWA) standards applied locally through Municipal National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permitting requirements. Local NPDES permits are issued and regulated by the San Diego Regional Water Quality Control Board (RWQCB). Core stormwater management services include: enforcement of the City’s stormwater ordinance, review and implementation of development standards including training to affected city staff, inspection of commercial, industrial, municipal and construction sites, water quality monitoring and reporting, complaint response, community outreach and education, and interjurisdictional watershed management.
- Building Construction
Manages the delivery of CIPs for major maintenance projects associated with City facilities as well as new building construction projects such as the Fire Stations. Ensures the construction of public buildings is cost effective, efficient and delivered with a high level of quality.
- Wastewater Management
Provides wastewater infrastructure maintenance services to residents, businesses, and other City departments to sustain a reliable and environmentally safe wastewater system.
- Fiscal Sustainability
Prepares the annual Capital Improvement Program, oversees funds, grants and projects. Provides financial support services to manage and accommodate growth while maintaining service levels for existing infrastructure.
This is all accomplished through the Department’s commitment to provide a safe and sustainable environment for the City’s residents and to keep the City beautiful. We provide the means for residents to live in the City and get safely to work, schools, shops, businesses, offices, and other communities.
The Operations Division consists of the following lines of business:
- Building Management - Provides maintenance, communication and custodial services to the public so they can receive the benefits of safe, clean and dependable city buildings, libraries and recreational facilities.
- Drainage Management - Provides cleaning and maintenance services to residents and the public so they can have flood protection and improved water quality and the City is in compliance with environmental standards.
- Fleet Management - Provides vehicles and equipment to City departments so they will have properly functioning vehicles that are up to date and specific to their missions.
- Open Space Management - Provides landscape management, contract administration, and inspection services to residents and businesses so they can enjoy a safe, attractive, and maintained landscape.
- Parks Management - Provide maintenance, security, and management services to the public, sports leagues, schools and Recreation Programs so they can enjoy a safe, clean, accessible, and playable environment throughout the parks.
- Roadway Management - Provides maintenance services to the public so they can receive the benefits of safe, clean and dependable public streets, sidewalks, curbs & gutters, traffic signals, street lights, fences and railings.
- Wastewater Management - Provides wastewater infrastructure maintenance services to residents, businesses and other City departments so they can benefit from a reliable and environmentally safe wastewater system.
The Environmental & Fiscal Sustainability Division consists of the following lines of business:
- Conservation - Serves the community's environmental needs and assists in its pursuit of a healthy, prosperous, just and secure environment for all citizens. Staff works with and on behalf of the community to preserve and restore land, air, water and other natural resources in ways that advance the welfare of present and future generations.
- Environmental Services - Provides comprehensive solid waste management services to citizens, businesses, City departments, and outside agencies so they can enjoy a cleaner, healthier environment through dependable and economical solid waste services.
- Fiscal Services - Provides financial support services to City staff, the development community, and the public so they can successfully complete their business.
This is all accomplished through the department’s commitment to provide a safe environment for the city’s residents and to keep the city beautiful. We provide the means for residents to live in the City, and get safely to work, schools, shops, businesses, offices, and other communities.