In January 2016, Council approved an agreement between the City of Chula Vista and STC Traffic, Inc. for the development of the City’s first Traffic Signal Communications Master Plan. STC staff diligently researched our existing system and records, interviewed City staff, and submitted a complete Plan in early July 2017.
The new Plan encompasses four distinct and critical elements: (1) existing systems assessment, (2) needs assessment, (3) future system Architecture and ITS elements, and (4) implementation phasing plan including cost-benefit analysis. Each of these elements account for key components to help guide the City towards effective modernization of a comprehensive traffic signal communications network which will support cutting-edge transportation systems and serve as a guiding foundation for the City’s deployment of Smart City technologies.
Implementation of the $16M Plan is divided into three phases with a goal of full implementation within 10 years (depending on available funding).
The Traffic Signal Communications Master Plan is broken up by section in the links below:
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Existing Systems Assessment
- 3. Needs Assessment
- 4. Future System Architecture and ITS Elements
- 5. Implementation Phasing Plan
- 6. References
- Appendix A. Existing Traffic Systems Topology and Future Improvements Opportunity Areas
- Appendix B. Existing Traffic Signal Communications Architecture
- Appendix C. Future Transportation Projects and Traffic Signals
- Appendix D. Future Traffic Signal Communications Architecture
- Appendix E. Order of Magnitude Cost Estimates
- Appendix F. Future Traffic Signal Communications Network Map
- Executive Summary
- Inside Cover
- Table of Contents
- Traffic Signal Communications Master Plan - Full Document
- Traffic Signal Communications Master Plan Cover