Please be advised that Information provided in this application is unable to be saved to come back to at a later time. If you are unable to complete the application in its entirety , you may want to consider saving (questions and/or answers) in a separate document (e.g a word document) and complete this application when you are able to complete and submit in its entirety.
Deadline to submit is 5:00 p.m. on March 11, 2019
Odawara, Japan is one of Chula Vista's Sister Cities. A Sister City is an officially approved, long-term partnership, that has the potential to carry out diverse activities and cultural exchange, primarily involving three sectors, local government, business, and citizen volunteerism.
2019 Program Information
Program in Odawara: Depart Thursday August 1, 2019 through Tuesday August 13th, 2019.
Program in Chula Vista from Tuesday August 13, 2019 through Friday August 23th, 2019.
Selected Ambassadors MUST be able to participate for the entire duration of the exchange program.
Application is due NO LATER than 5:00PM on Monday, March 11 , 2019. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS MAY NOT BE CONSIDERED.
Candidate interviews will be held on Wednesday, March 20, 2019 6pm - 8pm. Selected applicants will be contacted with their scheduled interview time. Note: up to four (4) Chula Vista Ambassadors will be appointed. Up to $1,000 travel stipend for airfare will be awarded to each of the 4 appointed Ambassadors to be reimbursed after travel*.
For questions or more information please contact: Lynnette Tessitore; Cultural Arts Manager at email@example.com
or Phone: (619) 409-5465.
*Documentation that includes traveler, flight information, and payment is required for reimbursement.
Student/ Young Professional Ambassador Program ( SECTION I)
Up to four (4) Chula Vista students or young professionals (ages 18-23) will be selected by the City's International Friendship Commission to represent the City of Chula Vista for a month long exchange program with Ambassadors from Odawara (ages 18-28) .
Odawara, Japan Program
While in Odawara, the four Chula Vista Ambassadors will represent the City of Chula Vista at events and functions including, but not limited to: volunteering at local nonprofits/charities, business functions/dinners, attending Odawara City Council meetings, local excursions, etc. Odawara Ambassadors and/or host families will arrange local transportation and accompany Chula Vista Ambassadors while they are in Odawara. Chula Vista Ambassadors are not permitted to drive during their visit in Japan.
Chula Vista, California Program
While in Chula Vista, the four Odawara Ambassadors will be representing Odawara, Japan at events/functions including, but not limited to: volunteering at local nonprofits/charities, business functions/dinners, attending Chula Vista City Council meetings, local excursions, etc. Chula Vista Ambassadors and/or host families will arrange all local transportation and accompany Odawara Ambassadors while they are in Chula Vista. Odawara Ambassadors are not permitted to drive during their visit in the United States.
Ambassador Program Requirements: (All documentation must be uploaded)
- Must be between the age of 18 and 23 and possess a valid USA passport or be a USA permanent resident with a valid International passport (copy required)
- Must be a resident of Chula Vista (evidence required)
- Must be currently enrolled in college, college bound, or employed (transcripts or evidence of employment required)
- If selected, all Ambassadors must submit a post-travel community or study project. All projects must be approved, in advance, by the International Friendship Commission. To be submitted to and presented to the International Friendship Commission within 30 days of end of 2019 Program.
- Two references (known for more than one year):
- From an academic source or past/current employer
- Community/Civic/Cultural Organization
- Doctor’s clearance (written statement or physical form) verifying that candidate is fit for international travel.
- It is expected that selected Chula Vista Ambassador families will host Odawara Ambassadors while they are in Chula Vista. All efforts will be made to match Ambassadors by similar age (within a few years) and by gender.
- Essay (400 words max) or in digital form not to exceed three minutes explaining why applicant would like to participate in the Odawara Ambassador Program
- Signed Program Waiver/Consent/Release form
- Health Insurance that provides for health care abroad and health emergency return travel (evidence required)
Host Family ( SECTION II)
The host family is a vital part of the Odawara Student/Young Professional Ambassador Program. Serving as a Host Family comes with great responsibility to care and nurture the visiting Ambassador as one would a member of their family. The visiting Ambassador would live in your home and share in your everyday lives. The Host Family Guidelines are listed below. If selected to be a Host Family, you and your family agree to treat the Odawara, Ambassador with respect, to ensure that the Ambassador is healthy and safe, and to provide an appropriate level of parental supervision. Two (non-relative) references are required.
Host Family Guidelines
- Share your culture with the Ambassador(s)
- Provide a positive impression of Chula Vista
- Attend the Ambassador Welcome Dinner (dates TBD)
- Attend the Ambassador Farewell Dinner (dates TBD)
- Provide accommodations as stated in your application
- Ensure the safety of Ambassador(s)
- Provide transportation or coordinate transportation for the Ambassador to and from airport and to all planned activities/events
- Participate with the Ambassador in as many of the scheduled activities/events, as possible
- Coordinate activities with the Ambassador on FREE days, with other Host Families if possible
- Have fun and feel free to ask questions.
- Do NOT travel with the Ambassador beyond San Diego County limits (no exceptions)
- Host Family members or Ambassador shall NOT use illegal drugs or participate in other illegal activities.